• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think the takeaway from all of this is that while Passions still ruffles a few feathers with those in the daytime community and long time soap watchers for not being their cup of tea, those 12-17 year olds that watched the show and were die hard fans are now older today and keep the show alive by attending fan festivals and supporting things like the upcoming 20th anniversary documentary for the show. 

The cast said it best themselves during the fan festival 2 years ago, that if a fan approaches them they can tell by their age if they recognize them from Passions or another soap they’ve done. They found a corner in the genre to attract, those 12-17 year olds (today they are 32-37) and like it or not I think while not a major impact like some shows, it gave itself a pretty good dent in pop culture history and will be remembered certainly more than some soaps that have been forgotten over the years.

Passions had a small but very loyal fan base and it still shows today.

• Members

I love Passions. Not for just the outlandish storylines but for seeing diverse families and friendships which were missing from the rest of the soaps at the time. 

As I get older I wish they would've had given Theresa more dreams other than trying to scheme to get Ethan. She should've been written more in the vein of Carly Tenney Snyder. I remember Theresa had a passion (ha) for sketching and designing. I wish they would've had her develop her own fashion line. Some of the investors could've been Ethan and Julian who the latter in exchange of giving her money would want more time with Little Ethan. Maybe Rebecca and Gwen could've used their pull to do something to cause problems the clothes in the stores on the specific date. I don't think Theresa dream was to run Crane either. Even though I did like her and Jared together. ( A Missed Opportunity) 

Or take Kay for instance. I get that she was a single mother who cared more about Miguel/Fox and learning to become a witch from Tabitha. However, I would've loved for her to go to a student nurse program at Harmony Hospital with a few other recurring characters. I know she was working at the cannery but I wish she would've declared she didn't need a man like she used to. 

Why couldn't Whitney decide to pursue becoming a model? I can see her going back and forth from NYC and worldwide with Chad feeling like he isn't spending anytime with her will could've caused organic conflict. 

Simone could've became a counselor helping run away youth and twenty-somethings. 

I'm sorry I know this soap was written for the target audience to be 12-17 I was in that age category then. However, I want more for characters especially female ones to have purpose outside their love lives and story orbits and careers usually can open some many possibilities in my opinion. 

• Members

What irks me about the networks' constant attempts at catering to the 12-17 audience (which I definitely think NBC and JER tried to do with PASSIONS) is that the networks always assume 12-17 year olds aren't sophisticated enough to appreciate anything other than utter trash.  Even at 12 years old, I still preferred KNOTS LANDING and "L.A. Law" over other series that were supposedly geared toward people my age.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I was only 11 years old when SoapNet started showing reruns of Dallas and Knots Landing. Even then I thought they were two of the best shows to ever be on television. I think, in terms of Passions, it just had to do with bad management and not taking the time to fully understand their intended audience. Instead of actually thinking things through, the producers and writers just seemed to run with the first idea that came to mind. I'd love to find out what went on behind the scenes throughout its run.

• Members

It must've broken JER's heart (no pun intended) to realize that about his own show.  Here, he thought he was doing PEYTON PLACE meets DARK SHADOWS, but it was coming out more like 90210 meets "Bewitched."

Edited by Khan