Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Khan said:

And yet, underwear-clad twins looking as if they're about to screw each other seems more tasteful and makes more sense than anything I ever saw on PASSIONS.

Ha so true

3 hours ago, pdm1974 said:

 

Wow....think they were playing with taboo fantasies there just a bit? :)

 

 

Just a tad...lol

2 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

 

There is an entire coffee-table book filled to the brim (or should I just say BULGING?) with photographs like this: TWINS by Steven Underhill. 

 

 

 

I think I recall seeing it when it first came out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marlenaphan said:

When I think of the Hall twins, I think of Deidre and Andrea, but to each their own.

You are so correct! I thought the same thing when the second twin was cast!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, slick jones said:

@dragonflies, @vetsoapfan welcome to the ignored list

 

tenor.gif

Do we get cookies? Or even a cake? :D

 

Seriously though, I tried watching Passions, could barely make it through a few episodes. I'll never understand why this travesty got a second life and a show like Port Charles didn't. PC was miles better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the takeaway from all of this is that while Passions still ruffles a few feathers with those in the daytime community and long time soap watchers for not being their cup of tea, those 12-17 year olds that watched the show and were die hard fans are now older today and keep the show alive by attending fan festivals and supporting things like the upcoming 20th anniversary documentary for the show. 

 

The cast said it best themselves during the fan festival 2 years ago, that if a fan approaches them they can tell by their age if they recognize them from Passions or another soap they’ve done. They found a corner in the genre to attract, those 12-17 year olds (today they are 32-37) and like it or not I think while not a major impact like some shows, it gave itself a pretty good dent in pop culture history and will be remembered certainly more than some soaps that have been forgotten over the years.

 

Passions had a small but very loyal fan base and it still shows today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Riverdalefan1 said:

I think the takeaway from all of this is that while Passions still ruffles a few feathers with those in the daytime community and long time soap watchers for not being their cup of tea, those 12-17 year olds that watched the show and were die hard fans are now older today and keep the show alive by attending fan festivals and supporting things like the upcoming 20th anniversary documentary for the show. 

 

The cast said it best themselves during the fan festival 2 years ago, that if a fan approaches them they can tell by their age if they recognize them from Passions or another soap they’ve done. They found a corner in the genre to attract, those 12-17 year olds (today they are 32-37) and like it or not I think while not a major impact like some shows, it gave itself a pretty good dent in pop culture history and will be remembered certainly more than some soaps that have been forgotten over the years.

 

Passions had a small but very loyal fan base and it still shows today.

Thank you!!!! What a fantastic post!! ❤️❤️❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Passions. Not for just the outlandish storylines but for seeing diverse families and friendships which were missing from the rest of the soaps at the time. 

 

As I get older I wish they would've had given Theresa more dreams other than trying to scheme to get Ethan. She should've been written more in the vein of Carly Tenney Snyder. I remember Theresa had a passion (ha) for sketching and designing. I wish they would've had her develop her own fashion line. Some of the investors could've been Ethan and Julian who the latter in exchange of giving her money would want more time with Little Ethan. Maybe Rebecca and Gwen could've used their pull to do something to cause problems the clothes in the stores on the specific date. I don't think Theresa dream was to run Crane either. Even though I did like her and Jared together. ( A Missed Opportunity) 

 

Or take Kay for instance. I get that she was a single mother who cared more about Miguel/Fox and learning to become a witch from Tabitha. However, I would've loved for her to go to a student nurse program at Harmony Hospital with a few other recurring characters. I know she was working at the cannery but I wish she would've declared she didn't need a man like she used to. 

 

Why couldn't Whitney decide to pursue becoming a model? I can see her going back and forth from NYC and worldwide with Chad feeling like he isn't spending anytime with her will could've caused organic conflict. 

 

Simone could've became a counselor helping run away youth and twenty-somethings. 

 

I'm sorry I know this soap was written for the target audience to be 12-17 I was in that age category then. However, I want more for characters especially female ones to have purpose outside their love lives and story orbits and careers usually can open some many possibilities in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What irks me about the networks' constant attempts at catering to the 12-17 audience (which I definitely think NBC and JER tried to do with PASSIONS) is that the networks always assume 12-17 year olds aren't sophisticated enough to appreciate anything other than utter trash.  Even at 12 years old, I still preferred KNOTS LANDING and "L.A. Law" over other series that were supposedly geared toward people my age.

Edited by Khan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Khan said:

What irks me about the networks' constant attempts at catering to the 12-17 audience (which I definitely think NBC and JER tried to do with PASSIONS) is that the networks always assume 12-17 year olds aren't sophisticated enough to appreciate anything other than utter trash.  Even at 12 years old, I still preferred KNOTS LANDING and "L.A. Law" over other series that were supposedly geared toward people my age.

I was only 11 years old when SoapNet started showing reruns of Dallas and Knots Landing. Even then I thought they were two of the best shows to ever be on television. I think, in terms of Passions, it just had to do with bad management and not taking the time to fully understand their intended audience. Instead of actually thinking things through, the producers and writers just seemed to run with the first idea that came to mind. I'd love to find out what went on behind the scenes throughout its run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AbcNbc247 said:

 I'd love to find out what went on behind the scenes throughout its run.

 

Same here.  PASSIONS didn't start out so OTT.  Something tells me there's a story there, waiting to be told.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most likely Jim Reilly was making this sh!t up as he went along and just gave up somewhere along the way when he realized it was never going to taken as more than a joke, and all NBC cared about was that 12-17 demo (which ultimately wasn't enough by the time they cancelled the show). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It must've broken JER's heart (no pun intended) to realize that about his own show.  Here, he thought he was doing PEYTON PLACE meets DARK SHADOWS, but it was coming out more like 90210 meets "Bewitched."

Edited by Khan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...