• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I recently came across this video from Access Hollywood on Passions before it premiered in 1999. I’m sure it must’ve been exciting back then to be able to catch a soap from the very beginning... if you weren’t a disgruntled Another World fan of course. From those that remember, was there a lot of buzz surrounding Passions back then leading to the launch? From this video the supernatural elements seem to be hidden as well as in other early promos I’ve seen.

• Members

I often times think about that but from a different perspective. Jim died only 2 months after Passions had its series finale. Had Passions been renewed for a 10th season on DirecTV, I wonder if

Marlene McPherson and Darrell Ray Thomas who were both serving as associate head writers during the entire shows run would have been promoted to head writers. Of course a few years later they would both head write DAYS.

• Members

I was just reading the Crane Family Wiki and it struck me that Passions came along at a particular point in internet fandom when everything was cataloged, but there was still a communication barrier between the audience and the productions, (in the age of Twitter no soap could have had that much rape).

I remember a character who was heavily promoted by NBC daytime with photos of his long hair and string necklaces; only to disappear from Harmony, like so many of its townspeople (BTW my most vivid memories of Passions were those annual summer hunk photo sessions).   

For a soap whose fans recorded every episode with a summary, there were certainly a lot of loose ends.

One last note:  I really liked the way Reilly played with time on his soaps.  He would stretch out stories until the audience wanted to scream, and then resolve things in one week or never at all.  It felt like the pace was deliberate, and almost a meta-parody of the genre itself.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I would love to see that and any other early promotional materials.

In the first in-depth article that Soap Opera Weekly did ahead of Passions premiere, Jason Olive was featured as if his role of Frank was going to be a much more prominent character than he ended up becoming. The show teased a possible Frank and Whitney pairing. I wonder if that was scrapped or ever meant to go anywhere.