Y&R: Shocking Role Recast

• Members

Really interesting comment on DaytimeConfidential in relationship to this story...by a poster named "sudsmuffin"

Now, I agree with Cat and others here...who knows what the facts are. But all this commentary about how playing gay ruins a career...not a lot of support based on the examples above.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Of course, Engen weighed the consequences before making this decision. I bet he and Y&R work it out and never gets to a lawsuit. It is not like Y&R is in the financial position to waste money on a lawsuit anyway.

• Members

Well, poster "Drew" over at DR reminded me of this though...

The most famous example of walking out mid-contract is Roscoe Born. Now he HAS worked since...but he's had long dry spells...and he had built up a font of goodwill (RH, SB, The City) before he became unprofessional.

• Members

Again, so what. Engen is not Rosco Born. Did you not point out that Jacob Young got work after quitting on the Bells? Engen is not tied to Daytime. He can look for work in primetime on the network or on cable. He can leave acting all together and pursue a new career. Acting is not the be all and end all last time I checked.

Mark, you did not have to go pull some post from annoying Daytime Confidential. Why don't you make the argument that it clear that you want to make. I don't know why you are dancing around it. It is obvious that you are outraged that Engen may have quit because he did not want to kiss another guy.

• Members

Yes, but I think Brad Bell's organization is much easier to work with than Sony.

False, false, false. But I suspect that bias was implicit in some of your responses to me. So, if you'd read my actual words, you'd see I neither expressed nor implied any such thing. Indeed, in response to others upfront, I agreed that I TOTALLY UNDERSTOOD that he might be uncomfortable with this, or find it morally wrong. I get it. I totally get it.

I am disturbed (not outraged) than an actor would quit because he/she didn't like the storyline, a scene, or whatever. If it is true (and I'd prefer to see it confirmed by other sources first), I think that is HUGELY unprofessional on the part of an actor. It is also hugely reckless. That's why I talked above about "hog f*cking" or "licking TGVN's feet". It doesn't MATTER what the story is. Quitting on the basis of story is really stupid.

I mean, let me carry it to the extreme. They could have written Adam as a serial rapist or pedophile. Who WOULDN'T hate such a character? But he still has to play what is on the page if he doesn't want to jeopardize himself.

Isn't that actually part of why Roscoe Born quit? I seem to recall there was a "pedophile" angle to his story.

• Members

If this is in reference to that character he played on AMC, who cares?! That storyline sucked anyway. And IIRC, they ended up getting an equally talented David Forsyth to carry out the rest of the story.

And his role on AMC came AFTER he played Nick Rivers on The City, just so you know.

• Members

LOL. Can Y&R/SONY afford to sue someone?

The budgets are shrinking for all the shows. And as much as I adore Chris Engen, he's no Melissa Reeves in terms of starpower. They wanted him to kiss a dude, it's not like they were developing a lucrative spinoff for him.

• Members

This is interesting for me as I was facing the same situation very recently I received a written warning though, as well as my sup and manager speaking to the HR team on my behalf. My point is wouldn't it be a risk firing someone off bat for using sick days. Of course they could have warned an indivdual inw riting already but even then, wouldn't the company open themselves up to lawsuits and such? what if the individual has medical issue? Anyway of course you can' t answer but these are just questions that come up

I don't know something smells fishy either way I am sitting on the edge of my seat hoping if it is true something will be worked out for both character and actor

• Members

Well if Chris walked off set, he QUIT! Just like Jess Walton said when she walked off set, she had quit. Now the only difference is that Jess's contract was up and she was free to quit, Chris can't. And if the Bells and Sony really wanted to screw him over they could hold him to his contract and keep him from getting another acting job for the remainder of his contract.

Archived