Another World

• Members

To be fair, though, AW did seem to have some...odd recasts. There was Robin Strasser to Victoria Wyndham, but it worked. I will say Nancy Frangione and Susan Keith were vastly different. Whether the change worked is up for debate. But that also is the case for Lorna Devon going from tough but vulnerable Alicia Coppola to more soft/regular soap heroine type with Robin Christopher. That was jarring.

As was going from Sandra (Ferguson) Reinhart to Christine Tucci, who were night and day in appearance and style, and made even stranger with redheaded Laura Moss and then back to Sandra Reinhart. AW seemed much like its (supposed-once sister show) ATWT in recasting roles with actors who were nothing like the original actors. Sometimes, it worked. Sometimes, it didn't.

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Laura Malone went on maternity leave in February 1984. During her absence, actress Judy Dewey subbed for her. When Malone returned, she had not lost the weight gained during her pregnancy. According to Malone, she was good friends with Chris Rich and Nancy Frangione offscreen; however, after she returned from maternity leave, their attitude toward her changed. It deteriorated to the point that they refused to talk to her, and onscreen, during scenes, Rich's demeanor was cold and unwlecoming to her. Malone was very upset by the change and didn't understand why former friends were treating her so shabbily.

She was dropped in July 1984 and instantly replaced again by Judy Dewey. The events surrounding her departure were clouded in mystery at the time, because Malone was very popular in the role. Later, Malone alleged that Allen Potter and P&G had gotten rid of her because she was too "fat". From what I understand, Chris Rich allegedly played a part in the decision, too. Apparently he threatened to leave the show if Malone was not replaced with another performer. I believe that Malone instigated legal action against her employers and reached a settlement.

• Members

True, but Potter was EP of The Guiding Light for many years prior to Doug coming on board. I believe that Potter had a better working relationship with the Dobsons and was happier with their stories. Personally, I tend to agree. Despite some good moments under Marland, I preferred the Dobsons. I wonder how different things would have been had Marland remained at General Hospital, where, in my opinion, he did his best work, and the Dobsons stayed at GL.

• Members

It is bizarre, because I would have thought Rich was always leaving, since he was still young and probably wanted to try Hollywood. And hadn't Sandy already been used up as a character by then anyway? I guess you could say the same about Blaine, but to fire Malone over a demand over an actor who was probably leaving anyway is even more inane than I had expected. I guess they were probably happy to get rid of her. Most of the backstage decisions at this time make no sense to me.

• Members

Luke/Laura may not have happened, ATWT may not have had its glory period in the late 80s/early 90s, my beloved Santa Barbara may have never hit the airwaves...... Some proof there that things happen for a reason.

I was hoping to get to see some of the Dobsons' GL work on the classic dvd set, but their work (mostly?) aired before the 1979 cut off date of the pool of material Soap Classics had to choose from. Though I did hear that GL does have random existing episodes before '79 saved, just not all or even most of them.....