Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

May be an image of 4 people and people standing

On the wedding dress thread we were just talking about Henrietta and her crystal wedding snood, and then this pic came up in my Facebook feed (baader-meinhoff effect). 

I recall that Quinn had an affair with Bob, Henrietta's ex husband.  And I have a hazy memory that Roy had a soul singing twin brother who dated Lilly. 

Here's the dots that I need help filling in:

(1) How did Quinn and Henrietta wind up as friends, so much so that Quinn was her matron of honor?

(2) Was there an exit story for Roy and Henrietta, or did they just disappear into the Bay City milieu?  What about her son Bob Jr?

(3) I recently read that Jackee (who played Lily) was on the first season of 227 simultaneous with AW and flew back and forth to LA with iconic NBC president Brandon Tartikoff's good wishes, but by then how often was she on screen and what happened between her and Roy's twin?  Wasn't she somehow involved with Masie who worked with Ada?

(4) How did Gil factor into the story?

• Members

1) I believe their friendship grew due to Henrietta's son (RJ) dating Quinn's adoptive daughter (Thomasina).  RJ was always getting into trouble and Quinn supported Henrietta.

2) This is testing my memory but I think they left to expand Henrietta's pie business.

3) Joe Morton played twins Abel (a doctor) and Leo (a singer).  Roy did not have a twin.  Jackee's appearance were seriously reduced once she got 227. Lily and Quinn both were in interested in Grant Todd who worked at Smiley's were Maisie also worked.  Smiley's was used a central location where a working class group of characters interacted and were friends.

4) Gil and Roy worked together as architects.

• Members

From the clips I've seen, Henrietta had a unique presence.  I think I recall Carl Hutchins also trying to take over her pie business to stick it to Mac.  

Did her character run it's course, or were there other avenues to explore with her character?

Quinn was sexy and her voice was soothing.  She could have easily fit into the late 80s/early 90s AW

• Members

Personally I thought Henrietta had a lot of live left in her.  She was unique and I loved the character.  I suspect she was written out so new Head Writers Richard Culliton and Gary Tomlin could bring in some of their own characters.   In addition to Roy and Henrietta they also wrote out Gil Fenton, Vivien Gorrow, Nicole Love, Abel/Leo Marsh, Julia Shearer and David Thatcher. 

Edited by Efulton

• Members

It's a shame because with a few exceptions, these were vibrant characters who could have had a long run. And later attempts at bringing some back, like Nicole, just never really worked.

Everything I've seen of Henrietta was worth watching - Michele Shay was not the type of actress who was cast often on soaps, not then and not even now. She felt very special. I also liked that she and Quinn managed to become friends after Bob died.

I see that she is still active. I'd be interested in seeing an interview with her or Paley (if she is still active), not that fathead Goutman.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Lily had been a prostitute and when she told Grant about her past he decided he couldn't date her. Even that sounds more dramatic than it played out. Lily worked for Felicia at Tallboys and/or the Northwoods Inn as a hostess, and I believe she co-hosted Felicia's TV show with her as well. 

Lily got Grant a job at Tallboys, a step up from Smiley's, and he was working at the Northwoods Inn when he inhaled the tomb dust that killed him. 

Smiley's was originally pretty seedy. It featured heavily in the Alma Rudder murder mystery. Then Perry took it over and fixed it up and made it popular with the teen set.

Maisie rented out a room at Smiley's and first Catlin and later Jake lived there. 

• Members

Perry's grand reopening of Smiley's was in July 1984.

I found this -- it's Maisie's first day (as well as Peter's!) and there is some kind of criminal intrigue involving a man who apparently frequents Smiley's. Around 15 minutes in a woman who works at the museum (I guess she must be "Mary Lou" -- not sure who plays her) gives a vivid description of the greasy spoon Smiley's. And about 24 minutes in we meet Smiley's and Maisie.

And then in 1983 Alma worked there as "Nell" and lived in Happy's Motel before her murder.