Another World

• Members

I love that Ford is pointing out the artificiality of the scenes and the sets.  No one ever in the history of soaps (or any TV show..) has a TV or radio on unless there is a bulletin about the latest kidnapping or murder in town.  I also love that she does not want to say, "Hang it all"!!! ( I am sure Ford had another phrase they couldn't use...)

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I can see why Lemay got on with her in that these were some of the same criticisms he had (about nothing happening in a conversation). I am glad to hear that Pressman at least listened to her, rather than what we'd get in later years - her being fired and soap flacks on blogs or SOD writing about what a diva she is. 

• Members

The author obviously did not know much of anything about the show, or soaps in general. He snidely remarked about how surprising it was that an episode of a half-hour soap would take an entire day to produce...yet 30-minute primetime series took (and take) an entire week. Back then, even at 30 minutes per episode, soaps produced the equivalent of an entire movie in ONE week. A theatrical film would require months to accomplish what AW did in five days. The author was a condescending and obtuse snob.

• Members

Somebody asked a question on Facebook and now I can't keep the Mitch storyline straight in my memory.

Here's the timeline as I recall, please feel free to correct:

After St. Croix, Mitch returns to Bay City, he hides in the Cory barn.

Rachel finds out she's pregnant after one night with Mitch in St. Croix, there's a confrontation with Mitch, the barn burns down and everyone thinks he's dead

Rachel goes on trial for Mitch's murder, Mac finds out that he's sterile from the drugs that Janice gave him and that Matthew is Mitch's son ("Oh, Rachel")

Mitch returns from the dead, goes on the run with Rachel, and they fall in love.

Rachel is exonerated, gives birth, and she and Mitch plan to move to San Francisco

Mitch goes to San Francisco, but Steve's return from the dead distracts Rachel.

After Steve dies in a car accident, Mitch returns, he is influenced by a vigilantly father's rights group to kidnap Matthew, Rachel saves Matthew after a car chase, Mitch is arrested and goes to jail, until Sam marries Amanda and Mitch is released wanting to have a relationship with Matthew.

Mitch has a relationship with Felicia, they break up, he remembers that he was a photographer, moves to Africa, and never talks to Matthew again

My questions are (1) How long was he thought dead after the barn fire?, (2) How long did he stay in SF, and (3) How long was his return/kidnap story (on AWHP it notes that he returned for a week in 1982, but I think of the kidnapping as being longer with a chase in San Diego that is shown in one of the anniversary clips)?  Did Bill Espy quit three times, or was the comeback always a short term gig?  Was the kidnapping a plot device to reunite Mac and Rachel?

Edited by j swift

• Members

Mitch was presumed dead from September 1980 to January 1981. While Rachel was in prison, she heard a story from another prisoner about how someone gave an injured man (Mitch) a ride out of Bay City the night he was shot. Rachel then went on the run and found Mitch and was exonerated. 

Mitch left for SF in September 1981 but came back around February or March for the whole Matthew kidnapping. And Mac didn’t have any part in finding Matthew. Steve was the one who helped  Rachel 

• Members

That reminds me of the Futurama joke where Fry writes a script for a TV show and explains that it took him an hour to write so he assumed that would cover an hour-long show. 

The author was definitely ignorant and snide. I just thought it was interesting how Ford's bluntness came through so clearly in contrast to Wickwire. 

And this is where I realized that I had always vaguely imagined that "Snapper" Foster was also a photographer, hence the name. 

Also he and another ex-con had been hired by Reginald to . . . dig a tunnel from the Cory stables to the Love stables? (Mitch actually came back in 1986, the year before Amanda grew up and met Sam.)

Edited by Xanthe
Timeline

• Members

I’m sure most of you have heard the story about one of Victoria Wyndham’s early scenes with Constance Ford, where Ford told her after the scene was shot, “Rachel would never say the lines that way.” LOL. And Wyndham to her credit retorted, “This Rachel does.”

• Members

I crowed with joy during the scene of Russ Matthews (played by Sam Groom at that point), taking the malicious Rachel (Robin Strasser) over his knee and spanking her, during their short-lived marriage. By that point, I had wanted for someone, anyone, to smack her for a long time.