Another World

• Members

Logically, Philece could have passed as the mother to Vicky and Marley, yes, but I think it was more difficult with replacing Anna, who was more believable as their mother. If the writing had leaned more into how Donna was actually not a mother to either girl in any way but biology, then Philece could have made more of this, but they didn't want to do that because it was easier to just have her wringing her hands.

The audio on this clip is low, and the writing is not great (it's fine, but not great), but here's an aftermath which Philece's Donna probably could have played - when Marley confronted her over sleeping with Jake (Donna had not actually shot Jake, but she had lied about it to get Marley out of prison). 

(as a side note, people don't ever really talk enough about what an excellent job Anne Heche had done to make Marley a real character again in her last year and a half or so on the canvas - sadly Jensen Buchanan did not have anywhere near as much interest)

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I guess my bias against that story is that while Hank Cheyne was a gorgeous man and likeable enough actor, I just can't wrap my head around him being at the level of an Ellen Wheeler or Anne Heche or any of the actors in the Love clan - be it AS or PS.
So I project that onto the character not fitting in.

• Members

As I've mentioned many times, the ages of the Love family always seemed convoluted, so it would have been especially odd if Scott LaSalle was the triplet of Marley and Vicky, given that they were dating men the ages of Jamey Frame and Dennis Wheeler, while Scott was dating high school senior Cheryl McKinnon.

The twins were in young adult storylines, Marley had already married Jake, and they were talking about having children.  Meanwhile, Scott was in a teen story, and was more concerned about college crushes and first kisses than weddings and babies.  So, it would have been a stretch to think of them as being the same age, even though the stage was clearly set for a triplet reveal when Scott was introduced because they reminded viewers all the time that he was the adopted son of Reg and Mary.

In retrospect, one of the most interesting dynamics when Reg returned should have been his relationship with Michael.  Reg and Michael should have been equal sparring partners given Michael's wealth and status.  However, my criticism is that by having them in the same house it neutered Michael's power.  The story should have been about Michael seeking revenge for Reg making him miss being a father to the twins.  He even went so far as to have Michael's brother in the room during the birth.  However, none of those beats were played out, and it was mostly about Michael being a savior to Donna, (when he wasn't being distracted by John's return).  I mean the morning that Reg showed up and demanded to stay at the Love mansion, Michael should have called a real estate agent and bought a place of him own (Steve Frame's old mansion that Blaine once owned was probably available).  Instead he was still being conned, tormented, and dominated by Reg until his fell off of that building.

Edited by j swift

• Members

At the time Scott was on the canvas, Marley was still with Jake - if Scott had stayed to when she started dating Jamie or Dennis, he would have been about 3-4 years older. 

This does point out what a questionable decision it was to keep Jamie the same age for a decade, as they never did acknowledge the age difference between Vicky and Jamie. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

That's true. I also think that the Reginald story just didn't work (although I guess it helped the ratings...?), which didn't help his long term prospects. I do think he and Cheryl were a harmless, likeable couple - and I still wonder where they were going with John and Cheryl - but I'm not surprised they only lasted a few years.