Another World

• Members

I had no idea AW ever beat GL in the 90s.  Also I had no idea Loving ever beat AW. Also in women 18-49, it was somewhat often #6 out of 11 in 1996 and 1997. 

Please register in order to view this content

It also tied OLTL and PC on separate occasions.  OLTL had a much higher rating so it came down to the share.

Courtesy of JASON47's amazing site.  Sorry if this has already been discussed. 

Edited by vote4llama

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Although Doug Marland isn't really associated with AW, it was the springboard for his career as a headwriter.

May 1975

An Emmy For Native Of West Sand Lake By JOHN DINARDO

"It's mind-boggling, I still haven't come down," said Douglas Marland. And he had good reason. On Thursday, the West Sand Lake native walked away with an Emmy Award, "Best Writing For A Daytime Series" for his work on the popular NBC daytime drama Another World. Marland, who now lives in New York City, joined the staff of Another World about five months ago when the show changed its programming from 30 minutes to a full hour. "To be honest, I thought we bad no chance at all," he said. "We were up against some pretty good shows and I thought the change to 130 minules would hurt. It made it all the more exciting when we won." Marland attended Troy H i g h School a n d l a t e r graduated from Averill Park High School before enrolling in the American Academy of Dramatic Arts. A suecesful acting career followed. He appeared in several soap operas including The Doctors and As The World Turns as well as two m a j o r f i l m s before started writing seriously. Last year his first novel, "Counterfeit Agent," was published. Marland has also written scripts for two made- for-television movies. Both are currently under option. Marland frequently visits the area. His mother, Mrs. Lee K. Messner, still lives in West Sand Lake, and Marland plans to build a home on the family property there. Mrs. Messner watched the Emmy show on television. The show took place aboard a Manhattan excursion boat cruising the Hudson River of all places. How did she feel when her son won the coveted award? "It's hard to descibe," she said. "I was excited, just very pleased."

• Members

Seeing those ratings are interesting. I never knew GL suffered so much. No wonder they went to such lengths to get Kim Zimmer back. The one thing that is disappointing to see is that AW 100% could've survived if they had improved the quality of the show. DAYS was on the same network and if you look at their ratings, they shot up. If they could do it, AW could've done it. Unfortunately, the show had no vision from what I've heard of their 90s (I've only seen episodes from 70s-80s). I think had they agreed to give Harding Lemay a good two years in the early-mid 90s and just let him write, he could've not only fixed the show, but created stories with enough buzz to boost their ratings in the same way Jim Reilly did at DAYS.

• Members

Kimmer was back..this was the summer of McTrash as we lovingly called the producer and writer...it was a summer of Lonitrat..(Dinah convincing Roger he was going crazy) Alan trying to destroy 5th street and being bested by Buzz of all people, and poor Reva, stuck in the diner, begging Buzz for sex, and to top it all off,we got an angel as a character!

• Members

It's out, title Another Whole Afternoon. I haven't found much more behind the scenes stuff than you mention here -- he declines to name Beverlee McKinsey as the costar he didn't like, but describes how he showed her up by coming to rehearsal of the scene where he smashes a bust of her father without any pants on and she didn't notice right away. He goes into more detail about how much he liked the people he worked with on SB and OLTL. No mention of George Reinholt as far as I can tell, but he is good friends with John Considine and mentions him a lot.

Is the bust scene with Robert and Iris anywhere online?

John Considine also has a memoir (Improvising, My Life and Show Business) in which he does discuss how hectic it was when he started on AW as Reginald -- last minute replacement of another actor and he had to do 5 days of work in one to catch up. He describes how he didn't have time to understand who the characters he was meeting were, and thought perhaps the young blonde who slapped him when they met was an ex-girlfriend or something, but no! She was his granddaughter! And not only that, but played by Anne Heche, future star! That didn't sound quite right -- I remember it was Reginald who brought Rhonda Lewin as Vicky to Jake and Marley's wedding, so Ellen Wheeler must actually have been playing Marley/Vicky when Reginald came back from the dead. And I believe Marley did start by hitting Reginald as soon as she saw him, possibly at Zane's funeral. I'm sure John Considine remembers working with Anne Heche but his memory has misled him here.