Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks for the Carl Roux interview. I heard it back when it was originally uploaded on WOST. Carol seems so shy and reserved and a bit out of it. It was interesting that she mentioned Bill Bell was so nice to her and wanting her to work for him again. It sounds like he wanted to use her on Y&R in the 80's. She said she could not bring herself to act anymore. 

• Members

There have been stories and rumors over the years on the net that she was difficult behind the scenes, but I don't know if that is true or not. There is very little of her work that survives. I saw the 1968 episodes of the wedding of Walter & Lenore with her and Joe Gallison (Bill). 

I read that when she went on Somerset in 1970 they wanted Joe Gallison to join the cast with her, but he could not get out of contract with OLTL, so they killed Bill off. I wish some of her time on AW and Somerset would surface. 

• Members

When I see those 60's articles for AW, it makes me wish someone would unearth some more footage from that era. We have some bits of audio and that 1968 wedding, but that's about it. There has to be something sitting in a warehouse, attic, basement, private collection out there. I would really flip if it's color footage. 

Listening to those audio bits, boy Liz (as played by Audra Lindley) was a psycho. She gave everyone a hard time, especially Bill and Missy.

Rachel (Robin Strasser) as we know was a piece of work and her scheming to keep Steve from Alice apart drove the show to the top of the ratings. 

I'm grateful to hear those audio clips, but I can tell the original recorder was mainly trying to get the music cues, which explains the choppy edits of scenes. 

• Members

I loved Irene Dailey as Liz, but I think Harding Lemay toned-down the character too much, when he reintroduced Liz in 1974.  Dailey maintained very little of Lindley's volatility, and became even more mellow, as the years went by.  Lindley's Liz was really more of a villainess, and not just a meddling relative (as Lemay wrote her for Dailey).  And sadly, nearly all the post-Lemay writers mellowed Liz even more -- turning her into little more than comic relief.  That showed how little they really understood the character and her history.   

• Members

I don't know what is about Joe Gallison, but he looks so different to me during his time on AW than when he appeared on Days. He was aged 29-35 on AW and 39-56 on Days. He seemed to look younger in later life. Almost like a different person. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

You are absolutely right about that.  I was about to reply to my own post with something similar.  Lemay's Liz was just a little more meddling and a little more unstable than Mary Matthews.  But I can't imagine Mary behaving like Liz did.  Mary had no motivation for that sort of behavior.  Mary was a fundamentally happy woman, while Liz was fundamentally unhappy.  So it made sense for Liz to be a meddling trouble-maker.  I completely understand why Virginia Dwyer resisted Lemay's attempts to turn Mary into a neurotic meddler.   But maybe she should have cooperated.  Had Dwyer out-lasted Lemay, the Matthews family almost certainly would never have been minimized as they were by later writers.   

• Members

I look forward to finding the time to watch this. Brian Linehan was always famous for how much research he did into the person he was interviewing.

This week Kyra Sedgwick was on Ask Me Another and they talked very briefly about her time on AW, playing a clip of Julia on the phone with Aunt Liz in her first scene. I had not realised how young Kyra was at the time -- apparently she was 16 and the contract she negotiated required the show to allow her to attend half a day of school even on taping days.

Edited by Xanthe
added link

• Members

Wow, Brian Linehan was a Canadian broadcasting legend. It's a really great interview and Beverlee was in top form. So open and engaged. The financial details she states about the money soaps generated for their networks - incredible. It's interesting to hear that she was as friendly as it sounds with Victoria Wyndham. 

Meanwhile, her story about Ruth Warrick is hilarious and full of cringe. 

I hope @BetterForgotten sees this one.