Another World

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I love that book! Lemay's attitude and personality may leave a bad taste in your mouth lol but it's still a really good read. Here's an episode that managed to survive the purge. Eddie Drueding also posted some audio clips on his channel from that time period as well.

• Members

Thanks so much for sharing, that was really fascinating to watch. Victoria Wyndham and Susan Sullivan really pop off the screen, but I can see what Harding Lemay says about George Reinholt!

I think Lemay comes across fine in the book  - he's self aware enough to acknowledge that he neglected his family as he became completely absorbed by writing the show. When you read about how much thought and care went into writing Another World during that era it's even more tragic that so little of it remains available.

• Members

It's very well-written and is a priceless document to an era that is mostly unavailable, but the main problem with the book is his digs don't really tend to match what we see of the surviving fragments, especially when it comes to Jacquie Courtney.

• Members

Right. I agree that the book is fascinating and a must-read, but his petulant and gratuitously nasty swipes at certain individuals reveals Lemay to be quite unpleasant, often hypocritical...and not terribly honest or accurate in some of his accounts, if you actually watched the show during the time period in question.

• Members

That account was caustic...hyperbole. So was the contention that Jacquie Courtney sobbed incoherently all the time to avoid actually learning her lines. More BS: Virginia Dwyer's attempts to preserve the through-line of her character were the reason Hugh Marlowe kept messing up his lines. (God bless him, but Marlowe flubbed and forgot his lines regardless of whether Dwyer was there or not.)

• Members

Really? The only thing I remember Lemay writing about Marlowe was that Virginia Dwyer (supposedly) was responsible for HM's trouble with his lines, and that after Lemay got Dwyer fired, Marlowe thanked him for getting rid of the alleged problem. Everyone who watched the show, however, knew that even if Marlowe also tried to put the blame on Dwyer, that was a crock. He would "go up" and look glassy-eyed and lost regardless of who his co-stars were in a scene.