Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sometimes it does seem as if people were cast purely based on looks -- although I suppose in some cases it's possible that the audition was strong but the actor found it hard to keep up with the pace of daytime. 

How much influence does a good casting director have vs the HW and EP? For example I thought the early 80s cast of AW was generally very strong, and my dissatisfaction with the later 80s cast felt very tied to Margaret DePriest's vision as HW, and of course the huge amount of turnover.

• Members

I thought Sandra Ferguson was a fine Amanda. I also liked RKK as Sam (the best one as it turns out). I think the problem was in the writing. I don't think Swajeski knew where she was going with the Evan/Olivia/Amanda/Sam storyline, and it showed. There was an odd rhythm to their stories. They would be the Friday cliffhanger, and then you wouldn't have cliffhanger resolved or talked about until Tues/Wed. of the next week. It was bizarre. I found that with most of Swajeski's stories. She could write a killer episode, and the stories always had potential, but they inevitably fizzled out because she hadn't focused on the long term. I liked the Amanda/Sam romance more so than the Lisa/Jamie one. I'm probably the only one who likes AW post-serial killer (still think killing off Quinn was a huge mistake) and pre-Swajeski period. IT wasn't always great, but it was immensely watchable. 

• Members

Evan Frame and Caroline Stafford both appeared when Harding Lemay returned to the show in September 1988.  He even made the two of them a lovers when they arrived.  I wonder what his plans for the two characters were, because neither reached their full potential under Donna Swajeski.  I could see Lemay making Evan more sinister and dangerous to the Cory family once it was revealed that he was Janice Frame's son then what played out on screen.

• Members

Caroline seemed like she was created for a specific purpose..yet it never became apparent to the audience.  I wonder if she was meant for the Mac story that had to be rewritten when the actor passed suddenly?  She was an art dealer..maybe she was supposed to play a part in the Red Swan story?

• Members

The Red Swan Story was entirely Swajewski's idea, but Caroline was created by Lemay.  I do agree, it seemed Caroline was created for a specific purpose, but Swajeski didn't follow-through with Lemay's plan for the character.  There was one scene, while Lemay was still writing, in which Caroline was on the phone with her mother (back in Australia).  And their relationship seemed to be very troubled.  So I'm assuming part of Caroline's oringinal purpose included her mother.   

• Members

I don't think Carmen Duncan being Australian had anything to do with any storyline Lemay had planned.  I suspect it was purely about the actress being liked by the powers that be.

We Love Soaps: You were instrumental in bringing Iris back in 1988?
Harding Lemay: Yes, well, with a different actress. And she wasn’t Bevey McKinsey. She was Australian, actually. I wasn’t there when they cast her.

https://www.welovesoaps.net/2009/08/harding-lemay-interview-part-four.html