Another World

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Linda Dano said that the last time she saw or spoke to VW was at Charles Keating's memorial service in 2014.  That was 6 years ago.  It was obvious that Dano and Stephen Schnetzer still think fondly of Douglass Watson- Dano told the story about how Watson had a big bouquet of flowers sent to her at the studio on her first day of taping as Felicia.

• Members

This is the first of these YouTube reunions I have watched.  Are they all this painful?  When you could hear them it was so much fun but the rest of the time it was unbelievably frustrating.  

I did not think the comments about VW were negative.  They said they have no seen her. I have not seen people i worked with 2o years ago either.

• Members

Yes, they briefly talked about Anna Stuart being a part of the AW cast that still gets together and how she attended the lunch in memory of Carmen Duncan, Iris.   Duncan was another cast member that they all spoke fondly of.

• Members

You can see her a few times in this.

I'm sorry to hear the connection was so bad. That's one of the reasons I haven't watched yet; I tried the last one with the Otalia era GL cast and had to stop because of the horrible audio.

• Members

Alan does a great job and is a very good interviewer, but I don't think he knows enough about Another World to ask the right questions.  So the conversation tended to stray away from the show. Unlike his GL and ATWT interviews, which, to a larger degree, stay on the topic of the shows.   

• Members

I have to say that I'm always surprised when watching episodes form the 70's and very early 80's at how much superior AW's production values were to the other soaps that taped out of NYC at that time. There was a real aesthetic to the show in the 70's that the other P&G soaps or ABC soaps out of NYC just didn't have. I've mostly found Paul Rauch's tastes in aesthetics really tacky and even garnish on other soaps he produced, but 70's AW is a different animal on the production end vs. other east coast soaps.

I don't think this lasted into the mid-80s though - somewhere at that time the show took on a very washed-out and dated look that largely followed it to the end.

• Members

AW did have good production values under Rauch.  This is basically remains intact through 1983-85, even though the show needed to be "freshened up."  In the middle of 1987, you can tell that P&G reduced AW's budget.  Sets and costumes didn't look as nice.  After 22 years, AW longtime announcer Bill Wolff was gone, as were the P&G sponsor tags at the beginning and end of the show.  The familiar Score Production musical cues are gone.  Michael Laibson takes over as executive producer in 1988, and he did an great job production wise with the budget he had to work with- giving us the Snowflake Balls, the 25th Anniversary episodes, the Cass dream episodes, the remote location sequences on the French Riviera and Canada for Vicky and Grant's wedding.  AW received many technical Emmy nominations when Laibson served as EP and  won some as well.  The AW directing team won the 1992 Emmy.  JFP arrives in 1995 and decides the AW should be a mashup of ER and NYPD Blue.  Someone at P&G gave her millions of dollars to build this city set with a new hospital, Carlino's restaurant, and a new police station.  Did it not occur to anyone that every scene on the show could not take place at the hospital or police station?  Every character on the show was either arrested or admitted to the hospital during this time.  Then came show killer Charlotte Savitz who dismantled the city set piece by piece, and by the time Chris Goutman got there they were just using the sets that had been on the show for years.  Maybe P&G would had given Goutman money for some new sets and production upgrades if the show had been renewed.  I am glad that AW never suffered the poor production values that P&G inflicted on Guiding Light in its last years, and ATWT ended its run in AW's old studios, using much of the AW production crew, even using recycled AW sets.

Edited by watson71

• Members

I think the Corys lost a lot of their identity when the show stopped focusing on Cory Publishing. Instead, it seemed to focus on Carl and how the family (Matt and Amanda) were against Rachel's relationship. I would rather have had the show focus on the internal battles for control of the company with maybe Carl as the outsider wanting to come in. Matt and Amanda could have competed for CEO much like Nick and VIctoria on Y&R. Cass as the company lawyer and Felicia resuming her career as a novelist could have pulled them into the middle of it all.