Another World

• Members

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-adk-adk_sbnt&hsimp=yhs-adk_sbnt&hspart=adk&p=youtube+donna+l.+bridges+the+lovely+ada+vol.+3#id=1&vid=95408258ca7e6944c9c4ad8b2eb2de3c&action=click

Last night I watched one of our AW Fan Videos from the Fan Bench in Central Park campaign, The Lovely Ada, Vol. 3. It hadn't been long since Mac's death & both Ada & Rachel were still very much thinking & talking about it & about him. Rachel had seen a man on an elevator & mistaken him for Mac, which had shaken her. Ada kept going shopping & buying Mac cardigan sweaters with buttons that she considered tacky. Ada tried to talk Rachel into getting rid of some of Mac's stuff but she's not ready for it yet. Then, Amanda & Rachel come in from the car the next day --- and Ada has died. Rachel just thought she was asleep. She squeezed Rachel's hand and she told her, "You're my best friend." Well, Rachel had not known that even though she knew that Ada was her best friend. People come in with food & best wishes, prepared for the memorial only to find that the airport has made a real mess of things. Ada's ashes are in Peoria, Illinios!

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

We had an AW fan event right after the show was over at Blondie's Sports Bar in "the city". Some of the actors were invited, there & present. We wanted to watch the last 2 shows on the huge screens there. But, Linda Dano hadn't reached a point where she could see it yet. So, we skipped that & visited instead. Early on, all of a sudden there was this amazing whisper campaign, "Look, it's Clarice!" repeated over & over. And, it was. She had seen a blurb in her local CT paper announcing the event & had come & joined us. None of us had seen her in years!

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Linda Dano Day, June 2001, Kale Browne (Michael Hudson)

Linda Dano Day, June 2001, Silas Kain & Tina F. Gray

Linda Dano Day, June 2001, Linda & Silas

Linda Dano Day, June 2001, Silas, Sue, Nora, Linda, The Proclamation From CT

Linda Dano Day, June 2001, Mark Pinter (Grant #2)

Linda Dano Day, June 2001, Ricky Paull Goldin (Dean Frame)

Linda Dano Day, June 2001, Silas & Gail Brown (Clarice)

Linda Dano Day, June 2001, Anna Stuart (Donna Love Hudson)

Linda Dano Day, June 2001, Kale & Anna (Donna & Michael)

• Members

Linda Dano Day, June 2001, Linda was honored inside at Blondie's the day after the Another World Fan Bench Dedication outside in Central Park at the bench, by the last wave of AW Fan Activists, the Committee to Save Another World

• Members

June 2001, outside in Central Park, on Friday instead of inside for Linda Dano Day, a Dedication to the Another World Fan Bench

This was truly a labor of love. Thanks to me for being so intent on getting this done! Thanks to Melissa for finding the VHS tapes, which was a wild search through *so* many tapes! Thanks to Suzanne Lanoue for transferring the VHS tapes to DVD via her Magnavox VHS/DVD combo machine. Thanks to Melissa for ripping the files to computer. Thanks to me for uploading. Thanks to Eddie Drueding, Silas Kain, Sobe Daya, etc. for advice & support. Thanks to my brother David for a list of free or inexpensive ripping software that does a good  job.

Now, back to the beginning of .....The Another World Fan Bench in Central Park:

Melissa Scardaville came up with the idea to do a permanent memorial to Another World. She connected with the Central Park Conservancy and found out that it would cost us $5,000 to get a bench. At Blondie's Sports Bar the first year we gathered June 2000 we auctioned off several items. I had an extra copy of the out-of-print hard-to-find Harding "Pete" Lemay book EIGHT YEARS IN ANOTHER WORLD. (1981) We auctioned it off for around a thousand dollars. We auctioned off one of Victoria's statues. We auctioned off one of the paintings from the Cory living room.

We were still going to have to come up with more money. We decided to do tape auctions. We'd make videotapes and offer them to the fans. We came up with 4 tapes to do: (1) Mac & Rachel, (2) The Lovely Ada, (3) A Cory Christmas, and (4) Rachel & Carl. Any fan could pick the tape they wanted and send us $10 for it & we would send it to them. I handled all the Post Office and banking. Carolyn Williams (RIP) kept 3 VCRS set up & connected to each other all the time & she did all the dubbing & editing. By the second year we got together,  in June 24, 2001, we had enough money and we had had a plaque made & put on the Bench & we had a dedication ceremony.

Directions to the Another World Fan Bench in Central Park, NYC: Go to the the fountain on Cherry Hill. Take the  middle path (the path due north) toward Bow Bridge. The bench is around the lake near a willow tree, down near the water that is Duck Pond, on the walkway. Across Duck Pond are many trees & Manhattan beyond them. If you reach Bow Bridge you have gone too far. You might recognize Bow Bridge because it has been in so many movies & TV shows. It's really quite famous.

What is on the plaque on the Bench?

Dedicated to the cast, crew, staff,
Fans and creators of Another World
Daytime Soap Opera 5/4/64 to 6/25/99
35 years in Bay City

We were lucky about its location. That bench is where the cast & crew would meet to practice softball. Doug Watson loved playing softball!

I have pictures of us gathered around the ANOTHER WORLD FAN BENCH IN CENTRAL PARK. I'm giving a speech about the history of our doing the bench. Silas Kain is sitting on one of the adjoining benches. Melissa Scardaville is standing at the rear of one bench. (We're spread around.)

Now, as you might know, last year some fans were in New York City, in the rain (a downpour), and they had the Directions and the Map with them, and they got a cab driver to help them and they found the fan bench & took pictures there, etc. It was very exciting!

And, you might know that Kathy Morley Hackmeyer, when she lived up there, used to come out *all* the time and enjoy it enough for the rest of us who were missing out on it.

Lastly, you might know that Suzanne Marie Lanoue, who owns & runs the TV Megasite and who wrote one of our blogs, went out there one time when they were in "the city".

We haven't been back since the dedication.

• Members

Carolyn J. Williams was well known by Victoria and frequently she would get invited after a show like "Couplets" to spend some time with Vicky & Charles. She died too young - from cancer. She was a very nice woman who went to several of Charles's shows in Minneapolis. She went to Kathy Morley Hackmeyer's wedding. They were good friends. Carolyn was very easy for Melissa & I to work with. All 3 of us worked very hard to accomplish this project. By doing all of that editing and dubbing, Carolyn had a massive task & she loved doing it. She had a plan in her head about just how she would go about putting the tapes together. And, I think she was right. She was so easy to work with on the project & she did such a great job. And, we all 3 loved the show just as much as the other.

My speech on the history of the Bench.

Fran Singer (RIP)  Fran Singer's (RIP) speech about working for Doug Watson (Mac Cory) & doing all of his autographs, etc.

• Members

Linda Dano named the gorilla business as one of their crazy capers & a favorite storyline. She & Wally got stuck in the cage but then got out & got the gorilla into the back of a truck. Unfortunately then the brakes went out on the truck, they flew downhill, careening out of control, until they crashed into Felicia's high-rise, penthouse, posh restaurant T.O.P.S. Sheer insanity but people ask her about it to this day! (I have uploaded a video clip with this in it.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of David Hedison's daughters (RIP David) Alexandra is married to Jodie Foster, so Jodie just lost her father-in-law.

Edited by Donna B
Separation line.

• Members

OH! It was Tallboys they crashed into?!! Well, thanks, I have gotten that wrong for years!

By the way, have you seen Linda's "Intimate Portrait" on Lifetime? She has both that & a show on Depression. She had a real time of it at one point. Her mother died. Her husband Frank died. And, then her publicist & companion Vivian Stern died. She had her 2 little dogs but she was seriously depressed for a time. She seems to be past it now. Thank goodness.

• Members

from AWHP:

Tallboys, January 1970 - March 18, 1985, destroyed (Manager: Grant Todd. Owner: Lily Mason)
Top of the Tower, January 1967-March 1970
TOPS, December 1986-January 1995, remodeled in October 1988 (Former owner: Reginald Love. Former manager: Felicia Gallant. Manager: Franco)

• Members

Victoria named Tops in the brief period when she was played by Rhonda Lewin. And don't forget the Northwoods Inn, which Felicia bought after Tallboys was destroyed and then it too was destroyed in a fire around the same time as Reginald was opening Tops.