Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

He would cry into a scarf???? Oh, this I wish I could see.

On another note, I feel like I was a fan of the AW stories that no one else liked. I enjoyed the Cass/Rex (was it Rex? I can't remember the twin's name) and Nicole storyline. I still remember the twin's accomplice being thrown over the balcony and being upset because I liked her. I enjoyed the MAry/Reginald stuff, but I have no recollection of where the storyline went. 

For some reason, I'm missing Carmen Duncan a lot. She was always Iris to me, and I'm still outraged she didn't win an Emmy for the chief storyline.

Edited by chrisml

• Members

It totally is! 

Please register in order to view this content

I would love to see the crying into the scarf, too. Dang P&G for wiping their pre-1980 episodes!!

You are correct that Cass' evil lookalike was named Rex. Rex Allingham was his full name. I think Rex was killed off via a falling chandelier.

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

Here's my recollection, feel free to add-in

During the build-up to Wayne's murder, he antagonized Steve and Liz.  He wanted to strong-arm a merger between his business and Frame Construction.  At the same time, he was publically romancing Aunt Liz but secretly seeing Lenore.

Liz goes to see Wayne, but before she can enter the building a woman walked into Wayne's apartment with a scarf wrapped around her head.  She left, but what the audience at the time didn't know is that Walter had followed her to her lover's apartment.  A quarrel ensued, fisticuffs were thrown, and Wayne was impaled by fireplace poker.  Walter saw the scarf and used it to wipe the fingerprints off the weapon.  During the investigation, a search of Walter and Lenore's house came up empty and it wasn't at Aunt Liz's place.  Liz owned a similar scarf that could not be located.  Given that this predates DNA testing, they were screwed, so they charged Lenore.  Walter made the argument that the lack of the scarf exonerated Lenore because she had no attachment to it since the day she went to see Wayne, which she admitted. The police never found the bloody scarf and Lenore was found not guilty.  Walter drank and drove himself to death.  Lenore started dating Robert.  She discovers the scarf, realizes there is no future in Bay City, packs up Wally and heads out of town.  

Edited by j swift

• Members

Just for historical accuracy, Wayne Addison was an unscrupulous manipulator who was determined to amass wealth any way he could. He romanced a lonely Aunt Liz in hopes of getting his hands on her fortune. He manipulated various men like Walter Curtin, in hopes of swindling money from them.

Wayne and Lenore never had an affair, but he took gleeful delight in tormenting  people with the implication that he and Lenore were indeed an item.

When Walter stormed over to Wayne's place to confront him about his unethical behavior, Wayne laughed in Walter's face. He tossed Walter a woman's scarf which he announced was Lenore's, and crowed that Walter could now give the scarf back to her, because Wayne had finished using her and was ready to cast Lenore aside. The insecure, jealous and emotional Walter snapped, and in a fit of blind rage hit Addison over the head with a heavy statuette, killing him on November 24, 1970.

Walter ran home and hid the scarf in his safe, to which Lenore conveniently did not have the combination. (Far-fetched, that.) Contrary to Harding Lemay's caustic, sarcastic account (the writer was wont to denigrate...well, basically everyone except his personal pets), Walter did not continually sob into the scarf. It happened, when Walter was remembering his crime, but it was not a consistent, everyday activity. Lemay just liked to mock, even if he had to put a creative spin on reality to do so.

Aunt Liz, who believed Wayne's account of an alleged affair between himself and Lenore, was hell-bent on making Lenore pay for supposedly taking Wayne away from her. She told the police that Wayne and Lenore were involved, and that Lenore was the likely killer. Poor, pregnant Lenore was arrested on circumstantial evidence, and endured Christmas in jail. When she was finally set free, she came to suspect her own husband was the real murderer. Walter fell apart under her questioning, and in a weepy, emotional monologue, confessed he had bludgeoned Wayne Addison to death. He then ran out of the house (supposedly to give his confession to the police), but was killed in a horrendous car crash. (His car rolled down a cliff and burst into flames on February 4, 1972.)

Knowing that the police would now never hear her husband's confession, which would have proven her innocence beyond any doubt in the world's eyes, Lenore went berserk and tore her living room to shreds. (Susan Sullivan was epic in this episode.)

Three years later, Lenore had married architect Robert Delaney (March 28, 1974), which made her the target of the vicious Carol Lamonte, a scheming woman who wanted Robert for herself. Looking into Lenore's background for some dirt with which to drive a wedge between Lenore and Robert, Carol came across news clippings about the Wayne Addison murder trial, and Lenore's involvement in the case. Carol had no actual proof of anything, but she started to gaslight Lenore by sending her anonymous messages referring to the murder and Lenore's trial, asking if Lenore wanted "the real truth" to come out after all this time. Terrified that her son would one day find out that his father was a murderer, and not knowing what sort of unhinged psycho was targeting her, Lenore packed up her son Wally and went into hiding, not even telling her own mother exactly where she was, at first. Lenore was last seen on December 29, 1975.

Whew!

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

Yes, this was Nancy Wickwire, who was my least favorite Aunt Liz. Audra Lindley was like a ferocious force of nature in the role. When her temper got the better of her, she would scream and scream and SCREAM. It was pretty scary at times. Irene Dailey brought out the pathos and deep loneliness in the character, which was quite effective too, although the difference between Lindley and Dailey was marked: vehement, bitter shrew to over-emotional busybody. Wickwire was simply cooler and more reserved, and IMHO lacked any actual spark.

• Members

Sounds like the Wayne/lenore/Walter/liz story had some long term legs on it.  Did the tone/pace of the story change when Lemay took over for Cenedella?  It sounds like Cenedella came up with decent build up, climax of manslaughter, and guilt over what he had done....and Lemay picked it up by having Liz go after Lenore..Walter dying..and Lenore feeling huge guilt over knowing the truth.

• Members

I felt that Cenedella put more emphasis on story mechanics in his writing, whereas for Lemay, character delineation was key. The first few years of Lemay's reign were particularly engrossing; we had believable, multi-dimensional characters with complicated motivations. Even if we did not agree with or condone their behavior, we could usually understand it, which left the audience with mixed loyalty and emotions. I loathed Rachel to the nth degree when she was using and/or abusing Russ and Alice (and even Aunt Liz), but then I'd get mad at myself for feeling sorry for her even though she was a BITCH.

The biggest mistake soaps ever made was discarding their adult, nuanced, complex storytelling based on interpersonal relationships, and replacing it with gimmicky, low-brow camp. It destroyed the genre.