Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Looking through the 78 storylines on the AWHP it seemed that Lemay was running out of steam.Did he talk about that much in his book?

I know he didn't like writing for younger characters .Was there pressure from P&G/NBC to age Dennis and Jamie and bring on Joey etc?

Those characters Sharon & Dino Amati who were supposed to become involved with Rachel and were quickly dropped.What was that about?

• Members

Looking back, there were several things that went wrong for AW from 1978-80:

The 90-minute expansion

Killing off John Randolph (while fans hoped for a reunion with Pat!)

Harding Lemay leaving

Breaking up Mac & Rachel over Blaine/Jamie and Janice (huge mistake!)

Being opposite a reborn General Hospital and a steadily rising Guiding Light

De-emphasing the Matthews clan

Losing Iris to Texas

A mass exodus of Frames

Does anyone want to add to this list? I really think that this period was the start of the show's long decline.

• Members

Sounds like a Harding Lemay type storyline. I also heard the character of Pammy Davis, Rachels sister from Somerset was being casted in the 80's but that never happen either. what if? Seems like in 1978 or so, there were many characters written in and either recasted or written out pretty quickly

I thought I knew this show like the back of my hand. Never heard of Dino and Sharon.

• Members

Losing the character of Pat was another nail in the show's coffin. The character was a favorite of both Irna Phillips and Harding Lemay, though each wrote for a different actress- Phillips for Susan Trustman, Lemay for Beverly Penberthy. She should have been brought back to the show, along with her children Michael and Marianne, as part of an effort to restore the prominence of the Matthews clan. But then, the writers in the late-to-mid 80s botched up the returns of both Alice and Russ, the latter merely a prop for what became 'The Adventures of Sharlene'.