Another World

• Members

I found the Daytime TV Stars article I have on the firing, although it may be the one you already mentioned.

I'll upload it in a little bit.

Who would you have recast Alice with, if you had to choose any actress?

Edited by DRW50

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

DRW50!

Thank you so much for finding and sharing those AW articles!

As always, you are amazing.

I have these same articles, but being 100% clueless about how to upload them to the internet, I was frustrated that I could not share them with y'all.

I thought the articles were published in Afternoon TV, but it was actually Daytime TV Stars. (After almost four decades, my memory was fuzzy.)

Do you also have the interview with Jacquie Courtney from LaGuardia's book, or the article with Virginia Dwyer, published after her firing, entitled something like, "I would not die for them!"

I'm also happy to see that magazine cover with Trish Stewart and William Gray Espy. Along with Courtney and a few others, Trish Stewart is one of my absolute favorites. Her Chris Brooks is probably my best-loved Y&R character of all time.

Again, thanks so much for generously sharing your treasures.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

I would have loved to hear Virginia Dwyer's comments after her ousting. That was her last TV gig, from what I can see. I wonder if she was so disillusioned that she gave up show biz altogether.

Also, Carl, do you have the page with John Considine's comments - page 32? Yes, Doug Watson was very gracious and diplomatic - but he had been on AW for less than a year at that point and Mac didn't really share much airtime with Steve from what I gather. Maybe some other AW actors with more longevity had been approached to talk about the issue but declined.

If that's the case, I can understand. The studio was in upheaval, people were choosing sides and I'm sure others just didn't want to be involved one way or the other - just wanted to do the work and go home.

Can you imagine how much bigger this BTS drama would have been if social media had been around then?

• Members

Thanks for reading those articles.

I do have that Virginia Dwyer article somewhere, I think. If I do I'll post it.

I have the John Considine article and will post that soon.

As for who I would have chosen as a recast Alice - like you, I wouldn't have chosen anyone. If I had to choose someone, it would have been someone like Catherine Hicks. I think she would have gotten the warm + funny + tough aspects of the character. I always thought she was miscast as Faith Coleridge because Faith was not that type of character.

• Members

Cathy Hicks would have been an interesting choice but probably too young. Jacquie originated the role, was on the show from its inception and just had that certain something. They probably should have just given Steve and Alice that happy ending and had them ride off into the sunset in 1975, in hindsight.

Thanks in advance for posting the articles.

• Members

Jacquie Courtney and Lara Parker did have a rather striking physical similarity, now that I think of it. Plus, it might have been interesting to see Parker as the good girl after her years as the evil Angelique. Leslie Charleson, I just don't see it. Not that she's not a good actress, but I just can't imagine her as Alice.