Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I wonder how long they kept Alice's house too. Did they show it again when Jackie Courtney returned to the show in 1984 ? It appears to be a Colonial Style house with an early american flavor with the diamond grid windows etc....The furniture though looks like modern ugly 70's crap to give it a contemporary twist. It would have looked better with more traditional furniture.

• Members

It looks similar, but I don't know. Maybe Eddie D. at the AWHP would know for sure?

Anyway, what a tour de force for both Jacquie Courtney and Vicky Wyndham. The Alice/Steve/Rachel triangle had been going on for about 5 or 6 years by this time - so it makes perfect sense that good girl Alice would finally snap. I found it very realistic that she would run after her rival, throwing breakable objects at her while screaming, "I HATE YOU!! I HATE YOU!! GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!!" Had Liz not restrained her, I think Alice could truly have scratched Rachel's eyes out. LOL

Then, when Alice finally bursts into tears and is hyperventilating, your heart truly goes out to her. That was a very physical performance by Jacquie, and I'm sure she must have been exhausted after filming it.

One more thing - I LOVE how there is no music whatsoever in this scene. Now, there would be music swelling and drowning out everything else, and objects would be shown being thrown in slow motion...

It was the starkness and simplicity of this scene that made it work. The magic was throwing together two dynamite actresses at the top of their games.

• Members

I agree. An awesome scene. I also agree about Steve being able to afford nicer furniture......LOL That colonial house set would looked more nicer with wingback chairs, mahogany tables etc......That sofa and chairs look like it came out of the Jeffersons apartment.

• Members

I know - and George Jefferson struck it rich enough to move to that DEEEEEEELUXE apartment in the sky. He should have gotten nicer, more classic furniture, too!!!

To get back to the scene, I still don't understand why Harding Lemay and Paul Rauch did not appreciate Jacquie's talents. She was every bit as good as VW - and had been on the show from Day One!!!

• Members

Yes, in the second clip with Susan Harney as Alice, she's in the living room of the house that Steven had built for her. It's the same set as the in the earlier Jacquie Courtney clip, when Alice chased Rachel down the stairs and then sat on the steps with Aunt Liz after Rachel had run away.

• Members

Lemay was very open about his disdain for Courtney's talents, inexplicably criticizing her work even though the fans and many critics praised her highly. She won the Daytime TV Best Actress award, the Daily TV Serials Best Actress award, and the Afternoon TV Best Actress in a Single Sequence award for the episode in which Alice and Elliot Carrington run into Steve and Rachel in St. Croix.

At the time of her dismissal in 1975, Rauch was critical of her reluctance to play out a proposed story in which Alice would fall for her brother-in-law Willis, but upon her death decades later, when asked for a comment about her, Rauch at least had the grace to say that Courtney had been a "great gal" who could always be counted on to give good performances.

To his credit, even Lemay, in his book about his tenure as AW's headwriter, admitted that Courtney had star appeal, and that after she moved over to ONE LIFE TO LIVE, her presence there may have been at least partially responsible for that soap's steady rise in the ratings.

• Members

I've noticed that some modern-day soap viewers seem to take Harding Lemay's opinions about the show and its cast and crew as gospel, whereas those of us who were actually watching AW back in the day know that some of his allegations and criticism appear to be borne out of pique.

He would criticize one performer for doing the exact same thing that he praised in another; it was so obvious that personal dislike played into his negative opinions.