Another World

• Members

Take two...

I, for one, would love to read or even conduct an interview with Tom King -- not just about his years at AW (under Lemay, on his own and with Robert Soderberg, and years later, with Elizabeth Page and Craig Carlson) but also his entire daytime career. He once called LOVING's resident anti-heroine, Ava Rescott, a "hoot" and I think that's true. He also made several statements (which I cannot recall offhand) about GL's Ross and Blake to SOW which I felt were "right-on" and showed a certain understanding of their relationship the previous 1 or 2 writing regimes had lacked.

And of course, I would just love to know which "witch" on AMC he loved to watch BITD. Was it Erica? Was it Phoebe? Who was it, Mr. King, lol?

I don't think so. Douglas (and not Sheri, thank you very much, Wikipedia) Anderson shared HW'ing duties with just Nancy Williams Watt.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Mulcahey?

I really agreed with a lot of your points about the 90-minute format and how the problems clearly started before that and were just exacerbated. It doesn't help that by the time of the expansion, the show was already running low on interesting core characters and was struggling to create new ones.

• Members

No, Patrick Mulcahey was gone by that point. As a matter of fact, I think his departure -- which was abrupt, apparently, and allegedly resulted from a rift between him and JFP over his long-term projections -- left GL without an official HW for awhile, leaving those duties up to Nancy Williams Watt, Stephen Demorest, Millee Taggart, Leah Laiman, Carlson, King and Sloane (give or take one -- I think the most HW's, official or not, that GL ever had at the same time was six) -- the last three of which, of course, becoming 3/4ths of the next "official" HW'ing team before JFP introduced her Great Find, Douglas Anderson, whose reign was mercifully brief.

Wait, this is the AW thread, isn't it? My bad.

Really? I thought it was b.s., so I erased it. Thanks for saying that, though. :)

• Members

But, you know, I think Paul Rauch actually recycled certain elements from that opening when he updated AW's opening in '81 (?). I see as much in the silhouettes of the man and woman as well as in the lines shooting at you from the center of the screen.

• Members

Patrick Mulcahey and Nancy Williams Watt were announced as head writers in the spring of 1994. They lasted a very brief time and were then replaced by the mega head writing team. Closing credits online show Mulcahey as part of that team as of August 1994. At that point, the team was Laiman, Demorest, Mulcahey, Watt, and Taggart. King does not appear in the credits at that point. By September, Mulcahey's name was gone and again no sign of King in the credits. King's name does show up in December 1994 credits when Demorest was sole head writer, likely right before Anderson took over. At one point, I believe Sheri Anderson was also part of the mega head writing team.

Oops. This is a AW board, isn't it? But it just proves how incestuous daytime is with its scribes.