Another World

• Members

Sad news about Carmen.  I would not have chosen someone with such a thick accent to play Iris, but I'd rather her than Beverlee.  I know that's blasphemous to most of you but BM as DW's daughter was always ridiculous to me.  

Carmen was exceptionally talented and I loved watching her on AW against VW.  RIP 

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's always a red-letter day when Victoria Wyndham, Susan Lucci, and Joan Collins appear back-to-back in my IG feed. VW even laughed at my lame iris joke re: her garden. She seems to be enjoying a well-earned retirement from television on her beautiful property with her animals. I love her artwork, and I'd gladly make my way up to NY/CT should she ever do a play.

• Members

Thanks for telling us about that. I keep hoping he will find some soap episodes or even clips, but this is good too.

(who is the woman Joel Crothers is kissing? That isn't Tina Sloan is it? I can't remember if she was his love interest at this time)

It's interesting to see Rachel and Steve being showcased in a "love in the afternoon" feature. I wonder if Lemay preferred them to Alice/Steve deep down. 

• Members

Yes, that's a young Tina Sloan as Kate. I'm guessing this promo is from 1974   [[EDIT - duh! it says so right on the clip]] , because Steve is still caught between Rachel and Alice and HTSAM is still aired between AW and Somerset (it moved after AW expanded in Jan 1975). I thought Lemay didn't really like Reinholt and his acting style any more than Courtney's, so wouldn't have wanted him as the endgame for Wyndham. Douglass Watson took over the role of Mac in fall 1974 I believe (IMDB is wrong to say 1975) and I think it's not until that time that Lemay gets the idea to pair Mac and Rachel.

I wonder if NBC ever complained that ABC took over the "Love in the Afternoon" theme a few years later and really made a splash with it. Of course, it had been the title of a 1971 BTS soap novel by Ed Zimmermann (the second Joe Werner on GL), so the phrase was out there in the aether.

Edited by BuckyB12

Amanda & Sam were married way too soon. Sam and Mitch's shoplifting mom Loretta was a hoot. Loretta was a great contrast to her brooding moody sons. A shame she was discarded after a couple months. Never to be mentioned again.  Really love Cass & Nicole. A shame Nicole was thrown under the bus. So Cass could ended up with new age witch Frankie. 

• Members

I was trying to do the Blake/Fowler SORAS math to see if it strains logic.

Rachel, Mitch, and Janice were around the same age.  Amanda was 18 when she met Sam and Evan Frame.   So, Loretta either stole some early iteration of Botox, or she had Sam twenty years after Mitch, or Janice had vastly underestimated her age.  Either way, I think the inclusion of Loretta just confused the issue of how Mitch's brother could be age-appropriate for Amanda and Olivia.

• Members

So a channel has been uploading all the Feb/March/April 1988 episodes of AW.. where we went from Depriest to Sheri Anderson and then the scab writers.  I have to say that I thought Sheri Anderson's brief stint as head-writer was promising with her finally ending the Reginald story with his death, Donna coming to terms with losing her and Michael's baby (ironically being cost the chance to be a mother yet again by her father), with the Vicky/Lisa/Adam/Jamie quadangle gaining ground.  There also were some cute Sam/Amanda couple moments including having to stay in a cheap motel and work in a diner as part of their honeymoon.. and lastly, it seemed like Jason/Mary were being tested while Jason was trying to win Jamie over.  The strike derailed a lot of those stories it seems.

It is a shame that Jason wasn't Willis.. because if he were, it would have explained Gwen's out of character behavior when she came back for the 25th anniversary celebration.. cause it would have been explained as grief.  Personally, I would have just had Jason be Willis without calling him that.. still having the same history with Mac/Rachel.. and with Sharlene as well.  And once he was dead, having it finally revealed that he was in fact Willis... just that he went by his middle name.  

Really enjoying Sheri Anderson brief HW run.  Reginald's downfall was well done. Nicole & Cass falling in love and running a business was very entertaining. A shame Dawn's HIV story was aborted. She didn't even get to die onscreen. I find Jamie & Lisa boring. But Anne Heche's Vicky made them interesting. Sam & Amanda honeymoon stuff felt like filler. I wish they haven't made Jason so dark. Jason & Mary could've been an interesting couple. I really love the friendship between a lonely Liz and Nicole. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Was L Virginia Browne considered a good writer. She wrote AW from December 1980 until November 81 and then went to Guiding Light. I ask because I’m currently at the end of January 1981 and at least from my perspective the show is *terrible*. It feels like in just two months the pacing has become slow and the characters seem so bland. Then there’s all the cast changes. She pretty much banished the Holloway family, but kept Kit and her boring brother. Then they killed off Jerry’s mom and then proceeded to recast him which takes the dramatic impact of killing his mom since it’s a new actor. Then they kill off Tracey is a stupid story, when she had good chemistry with Russ and actual long term potential. 

One positive I will say is that I enjoy Leigh and Sandy, two new characters she brought on, but so far I’m not impressed. There’s just such a blandness to the show which you can especially see with the new Marianne and Jerry.