Another World

• Members

The scene with Scott physically restraining Cheryl comes across as creepy to me even though we're clearly supposed to be thinking about how erotic Cheryl finds it. Scott was not written as a creep but he does seem too old for Cheryl. Not as much too old and as creepy as Chad Rollo, Cheryl's sister's former pimp, though.

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The Loves and McKinnons existed and thrived before Margaret DePriest started in 1986. What she did was create characters for Donna, Peter, and Nicole's dead father and MJ and Kathleen's dead mother and bring them back from the dead to create a vast historical family entanglement. And she completely rewrote MJ's backstory with the recast. I guess she also made the decision to create the character of Cheryl. In theory she could have recast Ben and made Mary and Reginald's adopted child a female love interest for Ben. It was certainly odd that Ben never came to see his mother.

• Members

I had the same thoughts you did - seeing Quinn and Maisie just helps to enrich the canvas, yet they were both dead within months. I actually get very annoyed when I see Quinn because she has so much potential. How did they not notice? 

While I don't think the Mary story worked, I can understand why Denise Alexander must have been compelled by the story. It's some great stuff for an actor to sink their teeth into. 

The Rachel/Mitch stuff is what gets my attention the most. It's character-driven and well-acted (and Rachel looks so stylish - I love her belt). Meanwhile Felicia is slowly becoming interested in Mitch herself. 

This is so much better than what we would get within a few months (the Donna recast mess, the serial killer story). 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

From today's classic soap recap Tumblr posting

ANOTHER WORLD: Week of May 10 - May 14, 1982
Rachel told Steve she thinks Maggie is Jamie’s child.  Jason and punk rocker Deek vied for Julia’s favors.  Vick is attracted to Cecile.  Steve left to open an office in Finland.  Cecile vowed to get even with Blaine, who tricked her into signing Sandy’s separation papers.  Nicolai is discontented with his country’s government.  Thomasina advised Quinn to tell Bob she had taken bribes from Denny.

Is this when Steve was killed off in the plane crash?  If so, who inherited his company and was it ever mentioned again?  Is Frame Construction a subsidy of Blackwater, (was that the rather prescient name of Steve's company?)?  Does Quinn get a part of the company?

Also, isn't funny how brief these summaries are written given the space limitations of newspapers at the time?  It is as if Rachel confesses to Steve, then he turns around and leaves for Finland 

Please register in order to view this content

Steve died in a car accident on February 1, 1983. During a snowstrom  Steve and Rachel were on their way to the airport . The couple had planned to get remarried in Key West. When a car plowed into them. The car accident left Rachel blind for a couple of months. Both Quinn and Rachel inherited Frame Construction. Which they ran together for years. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

today's tumblr

ANOTHER WORLD: Week of June 7 - June 11, 1982

(2:00pm - 60 minutes - NBC)
Rachel consoled Steve after he and Alice argued over his rift with Diana.  Sally refused to borrow money from Steve when Denny lied to her that he had big gambling debts.  Denny began to crack under Joe’s demands for more money.  Quinn chickened out about admitting she took bribe money when Bob announced he is separating from Henrietta.  Mac refused to print Sandy and Blaine’s information on Stein in Brava.  Rachel approved of Jamie and Chris’ romance.  Liz panted for Mylo.  Julia quarreled with Deke over his wild boozing ways.

I'm sure Mac had other reasons, but I applaud the decision not to publish a story about a local mayoral candidate in an International fashion magazine.  I hope he was trying to support Pat's legacy, (but I know he wasn't).  Also, Steve's back from Finland, which makes me question the inclusion of that detail at all.

However, my first sign of a bad writer is when they repeat first names, and my second sign is when the businesses in town suddenly change for plot convenience.                                                                                                                              

Edited by j swift

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Alicia Coppola (Lorna, AW) is joining Fox’s Empire in a recurring role. Coppola will play an attorney investigating Lucious Lyon (Terrence Howard) and international money launderer Damon Cross (Wood Harris). She’ll do almost anything for big target convictions because she believes they’ll take her to the Governor’s mansion and then the White House. 

It it will be great to see her on TV again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I was reading Today in Soap History at the welovesoaps website and there's a mention of Rachel encouraging Sharlene to go to the Snowflake Ball.  I found it remarkable because I recall a more adversarial relationship between the two.  Sharlene seemed to always be talking s%^& about Rachel when Josie was dating Matthew.  She also was snippy about Rachel to Jason.  When did their relationship change, or was the animosity one-sided?  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm reading the Classic Soaps recap of AW on Tumblr, they are at September 1982.  It is interesting that Corrine Jacker's character of Louis St. George was so similar to Richard Soderberg's Carl Hutchins.  Louis was Felicia's vaguely European ex-husband, scam artist, secret father of Cecile.  Carl was Donna's vaguely European ex-husband, scam artist, secret father of Ryan.  I didn't recall Louis as being menacing but reading about his scheme to sell stolen Nazi art through Rachel's gallery made me re-think that opinion. 

Edited by j swift