Another World

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Have been enjoying re-watching the SoapNet run. When you have one of those not-so-great days, it's nice to come home at the end of it and forget about everything by watching Sharlene tell Russ that Josie is his daughter. Aunt Liz comes in and just rips Sharlene a new one! Plus Donna and Vicky are scheming to keep her and Jamie together now that the paternity test revealed him to be Steven's dad. I'm hoping I can continue to find the SoapNet run and many thanks to all of the collectors and owners of these classic soaps who share them.

• Members

I’ve been reading the AWHP recaps and watching the 1979-1982 episodes available on YT, and I’ve got to say, Russ treated Sharlene very badly (not that her worthless brother Willis - were there ANY Frames other than Steve and Frankie and Dean who didn’t blame the world for their problems - or spineless Sharlene herself helped matters any), but his life just got worse and worse afterwards.

Did he really have two wives pass away one after the other?

I’m not sure I even want to watch the hatchet job they’ll do to poor Russ to justify poor pathetic heroine Sharlene keeping Josie from Russ, given I’m already seeing it being laid down pretty thick with Sharlene vs. Rachel regarding Sharlene’s crazy sister (ran in the family) Janice, who tried to kill Mac (and Rachel and Mitch).

I’m literally stopping myself from yelling at YouTube, “Screw you, Sharlene! And your brother Jason too!”

• Members

He was married to that irritating Janice Lynde character (sorry Janice) and then I think he was briefly involved with Olivia Delaney before he left Bay City? I can't remember if he had another dead wife in this time frame. I know the wife he was married to before Sharlene died. 

It haven't seen those episodes in ages but I don't remember them making Russ look too awful in how he treated Sharlene. There were made up flashbacks of Russ throwing money at Sharlene (were those made up?) but the writing was somewhat sympathetic to him and saved Sharlene's biggest fury for Aunt Liz. The main issue I had with the story is that it just felt pointless, as Russ didn't stay around long and Josie had few ties to the Matthews. The only good thing about it for me was his daughter Olivia, who was obviously a plot device character, but one I adored, thanks to Alison Hossack. 

I am trying to remember if there were scenes in the original episodes of Russ having rough sex with Sharlene and treating her like a prostitute, or if I have made that up.

I wish Laurie Heineman's Emmy submission reel was available.

• Members

There was Tracy, who almost raised Matthew with Russ until Mac decided at the last minute he wanted to raise Matthew himself. *facepalm* MAC... really? 

Back to Tracy, Jason Dunlap was apparently responsible for her death because he was trying to kill Russ but got Tracy instead.

I’ve read that Sharlene (played by LH) was afraid of him, but he also couldn’t bring himself to hurt her either... it was all pre-reformed Willis’s fault, he was the one who told Russ about Sharlene’s past and then had the nerve to be remorseful about it only after the irreparable damage had been done...

Seriously, what was up with that generation of Frames? Even Jamie barely escaped that legacy of blaming everyone but themselves for their issues.

• Members

Tracy was the Janice Lynde character, yes.I remember reading about the Tracy and Jason stuff and later Jason with Elsa and the mob (this was on AWHP of course) and it all read much more interesting than it played out. What an odd and dry period that was for the show. I'm still surprised Jason lasted as long as he did, although the actor brought some verve to the role. 

When I think about Willis I wonder who it was who decided to reform the character. Didn't they decide to because they lost Steve? I can't remember. 

I guess Vince was an OK guy...from the bits I've seen, anyway. 

• Members

The most of I’ve actually seen of Willis so far (yet hope springs eternal) is the temporary Iris attacking him because she couldn’t get at the already-dead Janice after Brian (the Only Sane Person in Bay City for several years) told them what happened in St. Croix.

Was Willis recast at some point? Maybe if so, a softer actor would have necessitated a change of heart in the character?