Another World

• Members

I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment. I met her in person some years ago at a book signing with Lisa Brown and she exuded much warmth and friendliness in real life. We almost didn't recognize her in her dowdy clothes and ball cap: the opposite of her roles like Tracy, Angelica, and Cynthia. She also exuded a lot of warmth in her performances as Carrie on GL. It was her riveting and complex performances as Carrie that drew me into GL. She could definitely play warmth but show after show pigeon holed her into the same type of role.

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I hear you. The only role I've seen her in is Tracy, but from what I've heard of her other roles she was either the ice queen and or/the cougar. No one seemed willing to cast her against type. Having said that, I can't imagine anyone else playing Felicia Gallant but Linda Dano. As Stephen Schnetzer said, she WAS the part.

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

So the Marrisa/Mary timeline is a plothole. 

In the Mary McKinnon story (which I thought was genius) Jason Frame pre-dated Steve's arrival in Bay City.  Marley would never had been believed as Donna's sister if Elizabeth left in 1969.  The McKinnon daughters would all have been older than Marley if Reg faked his and her deaths soon after Elizabeth was murdered.  That continuum just makes no sense.  However, like any soap, Denise Alexander's performance made that story work and I've never noticed the plotholes until now.  

• Members

I take all soap timelines with a grain of salt-

Matthew Cory was born right before Christmas in 1980 onscreen; however, when Rachel gives her speech during the 25th Anniversary episodes, there is a Mac and Rachel flashback to Matthew's birth and the cover of Brava shown was from 1971 dealing with the Vietnam War- indicating this was the year Matthew was born.

• Members

Agreed

BUT after rewatching the scenes when Reg comes back with Mary today there were a few issues:

It is amusing that years later when Donna and Peter meet Jake McKinnon, neither of them remark that he has the same last name as their former housekeeper who had an affair then mysteriously disappeared with their father?  And Jake never invited his cousins to his wedding to Marley at the Love mansion where their mother had worked?  Wouldn't Michael's time working in the stables overlap with Mary's employment; so why didn't he recognize her?   I guess it just struck me recently that this seems like as case of having an interesting plot - missing mother returns with amnesia - that required a lot of ret-cons to work.

It is kind of classic case of soap fandom.  I was on the edge of my seat waiting for Marissa to find out about Reginald.  However,  there are multiple recasts to endure, the history doesn't fit with established characters, and all of the sudden everyone in Bay City goes to Mary's Place for lunch.  But any true soap fan stays through it to get to the scenes where Mary and Vince reunite.

Edited by j swift

• Members

This is the problem when you make assumptions of an actress having only seen her in ONE role. Jane Elliot is a goddess who can do it ALL yet was often not given that chance. Carrie was her most complex character. Tracy showed warmth when it came to her kids. And let’s not forget the atypical Elliot role, Judy Trent on KNOTS LANDING. 

I agree with you that Linda Dano was the PERFECT Felicia. 

Elliot should’ve replaced Beverlee McKinsey on GL as Alex. Carrie was long gone and she would’ve brought a greater range—and yes, heart and warmth—to the role. 

• Members

Soap star Jensen Buchanan back in jail after allegedly violating probation; no bail set

http://santamariatimes.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/soap-star-jensen-buchanan-back-in-jail-after-allegedly-violating/article_55a49334-ee7e-5d79-bd4b-357c43563a51.html

Hopefully Buchanan gets the help she needs, and she finds inner peace 🙏🏼

• Members

Who wrote the Mary McKinnon/Marissa LaSalle story?  Do we know why they made the new family McKinnons and not McGowens or any other legacy family since Jake had already left the show? Is it a plot that got disrupted by a writer's strike?  Because for a story about amnesia it has a ton of exposition!