Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If there's any consistency to early '80s AW it's that the show is simultaneously boring as hell and weird as hell. 

I'm aware the full episodes are out there, I just don't have any great rush to see it, but what in the world was this obscene caller stuff supposed to be, and was I meant to laugh? Poor Gail Brown. 

The comfort level with Kit and a half-naked Joey and Sandy is...very high. Between that and my always thinking they could have easily whipped up a bisexual past for Sandy in his trick-turning days, I imagine I'm reading far more into this scene than I'm meant to.

• Members

I wonder if P&G ever considered transferring Douglas Marland to  AW  after he made ATWT a critical and ratings success in the 80s.   He worked at AW in the 70s with Lemay so he had experience with the show.  I also wonder if P&G ever considered hiring Paul Rauch back as EP in 1996 when he was hired at GL.  Clearly Rauch was willing to work for P&G again. He also would have been better for AW than the sub-par Charlotte Savitz, who was EP for two years. In hindsight,  P&G probably hired her to dismantle the show in order to make it easier to cancel.  Goutman was probably getting "practice" as EP at AW knowing that if it was cancelled that he would be transferred to ATWT.

• Members

ABC was firing on all cylinders at the time and AW was as dull as Ada's dishwater. It really was a slog to get through most days.Really, all I cared about was Vicky Wyndham and even she was saddled with dreck. 

It's no wonder the show sank in the ratings. AW would get appreciably better by the mid 80s, but it was too little too late for lapsed viewers.

• Members

I watched AW from the summer of 1986 until the final episode.  However, I'm currently watching the whole Janice/Mitch poisoning of Mac storyline.  While I'm enjoying it, I'm wondering what the reaction was from the fans at that time. 

I know I've watched the Janice/Rachel pool scene a million times, but I'm wondering if the storyline was as legendary then as it seems to be now.

Edited by Chadster

• Members

I got to Mac's death episodes last weekend. I hadn't seen them since original airing. On Sunday morning from 9 to noon, I cried. And cried. And cried. And cried. So many of those actors do such wonderful work. It must've been so difficult to relive it all, only as the characters this time. Although I have to say, it really distinguishes the quality actors from the pretty people.  Some of them just can't pull it off.

This weekend I'll keep going (or maybe not...it *is* Christmas) Coming up next is the funeral and the will reading. They had some good actors on that show, I'll say that.