Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Anne heche had the ability to make her Vicky and Marley two completely different characters...even in the ugly wig era.  Her Vicky was impulsive, emotional, and scheming...dramatic.  Her Marley was more restrained, repressed, warmer, and her voice was slightly more cultured and slightly snooty...since Marley had been raised in wealth.

• Members

Yes, AW tried to get her back......sort of.   She was asked the first time Jensen left, but her Hollywood career was picking up steam and she declined.  She was asked again to sub in for Jensen as a temp recast in September 1998, at the height of her stardom.  That time, she actually wanted to do it- it was only going to be a 2 week gig and she was all for it.   Things were looking good but either her agents/management wouldn't let her or there ended up being a scheduling conflict.  Pretty sure it was the former and instead we got Cynthia Watros.

• Members

I feel like that would have been super painful to have Anne back for just two weeks, then lose her again! I liked Jensen's Vicky enough, but she wasn't even in the same stratosphere as Anne's portrayal. Love when actors aren't ashamed of their soapy past, fine to joke about having evil twins and all the silly soap tropes, but I love when actors make it to the big time and look back fondly on their soapy starts.

• Members

I thought Anne Heche had said in interviews about the temp sub for Jensen that the show contacted her agent/mgr and was told no but Anne didn't know anything about it until after the fact when it was too late. She said that if she had known that she would have done the short stint. 

• Members

I think a combination of Jensen Buchanan and someone making the decision to turn Vicky into a Mary Sue (complete with at least three male protectors at all times, including ghost Ryan) completely destroyed the character Anne Heche and, to a lesser degree Ellen Wheeler, had created.

Why Ryan wanted anything to do with her after the whole Kirkland mess is completely beyond me. He should have left that ring on the ground where it belonged and bounced for good that time.

• Members

In hindsight, it was a bad idea.  P & G probably thought that since AW and ATWT both aired in the same time slot, it would be a good idea to bring some AW characters to ATWT so that AW viewers would tune into ATWT.  The influx of AW characters did not move ATWT's ratings that much.  I think many AW viewers were done with daytime after AW was canceled.   No one showed garnered their long time viewership.  And one by one each of the New York soaps floundered and then were canceled.  Jake and Vicky should have stayed happy and alive in Bay City.

I agree completely.  Jensen was good, but Anne was fantastic.   In 1998, if Jensen did not want to play the twins anymore, I would have given Ellen Wheeler the chance to play both Vicky and Marley again.  That whole hospital fire and Marley's disfigured face that required plastic surgery was ridiculous to accommodate Vicky and Marley not being identical twins anymore.   Did anyone at the show realize that Ellen Wheeler was about a foot taller than Jensen Buchanan- haha!?!  I guess that fire made Marley magically grow....

• Members

I don't think that Jensen's Vicky truly became a Mary Sue type character till about '97 when Bobby Reno popped up on the canvas, and they further made Grant unhinged and slapstick. I do believe that JB's Vicky had the same spunk and independence early on until she married Grant and the hardness Vicky once possessed started to chip away. 

And Ryan returned to Vicky because he loved her! Y'all are gonna leave Ryan and Vicky's love alone! 

At that point of the show, I truly wish they would've left Marley off the show if they were gonna bring her back unhinged. I hated that story because it had Donna, Vicky, and Marley doing stupid mess.

Donna would not have ran down Vicky b/c she believed she had a part in Michael's accident/death. Knocked her block off? Hell yes. Trying mowing her down with a car? No. 

Marley now wanting Jake after all those years was disgusting, and regressive for the character. Marley wanted nothing to do with Jake after he raped her, and her locking Vicky in a cage b/c she wanted him was absurd. It also allowed the writers to somewhat make it seem like Jake's sins were erased by Marley's actions b/c she went crazy. I hated that. 

That story should've went to either Lila or Cindy. Preferably Cindy as she was always nutty. But not Marley. 

My God! Buddy, just leave Jensen alone! 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I think Ryan and their relationship is probably the biggest reason Jensen's Vicky took off. They were so fantastic, and AH and PMV's chemistry was some of the best I've seen on soaps.

Edited by GH_Girl

• Members

First, I just watched Nov 2, 1988 - LeMay really could write Mac, Iris, and Rachel. (No surprise.) The end of the episode where Iris gives them both presents and then, having control over them both, takes her Father's arm and says "Shall we go into dinner?" (or something like that) and Rachel reaches slightly for Mac's arm and, seeing Iris is already there, crosses her arms instead. And it freezes - end of episode. There's something so creepy about Carmen Duncan's love for her "daddy"!!

Also, having just read all the Swajeski conversation a few pages back, I just have to say that I loved Swajeski's time of Another World.  It was basically my era of AW as it being my late high school/college years. I'm looking forward to going through as much of the era as exists on YouTube. (I'm also watching ATWT from the 80's that I never saw, and Ryan's Hope, which I never saw. I'm watching 3 daily soaps now - I didn't watch this many at one time when they were on the air!)  I'm assuming that, since I'm on Nov '88 now, the Lemay/Swajeski switch must happen soon.  

I also can't wait to get to Stacy Winthrop. I filmed an episode of a series with Hilary Edison Polk last year and can't wait to re-watch her time on AW.

As for Vicky/Marley - I have never enjoyed EW in the roles.  Granted, I haven't seen a lot of her time from the 80's. AH was obviously my Vicky/Marley. I started watching during the Sin Stalker storyline and she came on the show right after that ended. I also enjoyed JB as well - as both Vicky and Marley. I quit watching the show around the fall of '94-spring of '95 so don't know what the final 6 or so years were like.  Maybe I'll get to them someday......