Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I wasn't sure if it had been around before - it probably has a few times over, but I wasn't sure if her full statement had ever been out there. I thought you might like it. 

Was she talking about the story with Ray and his mother? 

• Members

At the time of her departure from AW, Courtney went to most of the daytime TV magazines and gave them all personal statements about why she had left the show. This article, or very similar ones from other publications, may have popped up from time to time over the decades, but they are rare. Most folks do not have or keep articles this old.

Rauch and Lemay had plans for Alice to fall in love with Steven's brother Willis, while he manipulated her and played with the business behind her back. JC quite rightly thought it would make Alice look weak and stupid, and when she expressed her concerns to Rauch, he used that as justification for firing her. Later, she said that Rauch had played her, because the way he had described the proposed story for Alice was not the way it ending up being told on-screen once Susan Harney took over the role.

We know now that Lemay did not like JC and wanted her gone, and this is how Rauch made that happen.

• Members

Thanks. How did the story play out onscreen? I wonder if they changed any of it when it was obvious Harney wasn't going to catch on. Didn't Willis become a horror to some other woman (was it Angie Perrini)? I wonder if that story was ever intended for Alice.

• Members

It's been ages since I looked at those available episodes and as usual I have no room to talk, but I remember an ep or two where Harney's Alice was seemingly treated and referred to as this prize for Willis to try and win - something unattainable. I think he did wine and dine her, I seem to recall them out together, I dunno how far he got. Angie was already in the mix at the time, IIRC.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Willis and Alice became closer after Steven died, and he admitted to her that she represented an unattainable fantasy for a formerly-poor farm boy like him: the golden girl who always ignored or made fun of him in high school. She protested that she was just like everyone else, but Willis could not get that idealized image of her out of his head.

Even Lemay admitted in his autobiography that Alice never regained the popularity she had enjoyed with Courtney in the role. I don't think viewers warmed up completely to Susan Harney, but she was significantly better than some of the other recasts in the role.

Yes, Willis and Angie Perrini became romantically involved, but he was such a screw up, that did not work out. The character of Willis was quite glib and abrasive until Leom Russom took over the role, then he softened somewhat and was more tolerable.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

I liked how frank and outspoken JC was about her departure.  Based on the summaries I read in late 1975/6...Willis was pursuing Alice and she kind of fell for it...but within a year...the story shifted..and she then started interacting with Ray and his mother due to Sally...with Rachel thinking that Sally should go back to the grandmother.

I imagine how JC would have played the mid to late 70s material...I think she and Rachel would have remained hostile though civil with one another..but I think Alice wouldn't have lost her importance to the show had JC remained.

And JC obviously won because she ended up on OLTL for about 8 years..and did quite well playing a character not quite like Alice.

• Members

I thought Joe Barbara was handsome too, but I hated Joe Carlino. I just found him to be utterly repulsive with how he used to command Paulina around like she was a dog. I remember a scene in May of '99 during the "Who killed Grant" arc where Paulina was about to confess to murdering Grant to Toni when Joe told Paulina to "shut up!" Just his tone and use of words was so disgusting. I didn't mind Joe early on as he was a bit flawed. For instance, him lying about Jake being alive to prevent Paulina from going back to him. Again, he was a least flawed. I just hated how year after year since his debut in '95 how he became more and more righteous forgetting that he was once a big a** liar too. 

I feel like he was an early prototype on how soaps would write police officers on soaps for years to come. Jack (ATWT), John (OLTL), Mallet (GL), Rafe (DAYS), etc. would all be self-righteous pigs that looked their noses down on any and everyone that didn't live how they wanted. 

• Members

By that point, she was already off AW and had nothing to lose, I suppose. We know how Rauch treated people on his shows, and JC had years of frustration to purge.

Lemay did not seem amused by Courtney's going to the press. He made a snide comment about how she might have gotten someone else to write her stories for her, as if she couldn't handle it herself.

Edited by vetsoapfan