Could there really be new life for GL?

• Members

Posted on GL Central

To: All

I just received a response to my e-mail to Lifetime. I wrote them asking if they had any ideas about picking up GL because of its history, longevity and fan base.

They wrote back "at first it wasn't something they would ever consider because they didn't want to become known as a "soap-opera" channel. However, we have received thousands of e-mails suggesting the same thing so now the powers that be are considering it." They added "keep tuning in to Lifetime to watch for ads during the summer showing their fall lineup."

How do people feel about this? In a way it's time to let GL go I think, but I am actually curious what a more mainstream cable station with a decent viewing audience might do with it. And would the changes Lifetime might make be for the better or worse?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I say bring it on. Soaps are in toruble and it is not necessarily the fault of the shows. Networks play a huge role as well. I think by having GL go to Lifetime or another cable network, lets see what can happen.

Also can you post the email address for LIFETIME?

• Members

Wouldn't it be amazing if Lifetime picked up that show AND it actually was not a shadow of its former self, AND was successful?

I would just hate to see it not get the proper sendoff, should it not succeed. As long as CBS gives it a sendoff like it is being cancelled, which it essentially would be- after gazillion years on CBS, I say why the hell not send it to Lifetime.

That was a nice response (it is probably a general one) but it is still cool.

• Members

I think it's damn arrogant they "don't want to be known as a soap-opera channel"....WTH are they now??? Army Wives, Desperate Housewives those are "continuing dramas" aka "soaps". They've got another channel dedicated to really trashy, really bad tv movies of the week (filled with ex-soap stars, btw)...what the hell could be so off-putting about GL, in any form?

Idiots.

• Members

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your suggestion of adding "The Guiding Light" to our lineup! here! network is committed to bringing you the very best in original, uncompromising entertainment which celebrates the LGBT experience, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We appreciate your patronage, and will keep your suggestion in mind as we continue building and expanding our program lineup.

Sincerely,

XXXXXX

Vice-President, Operations

here! network

And that took how long to write? Ten minutes? And I don't even watch here!, let alone, work for them. Therefore, if I can dummy up an e-mail like that, there's nothing that says this person couldn't have done the same w/ Lifetime.

(And don't laugh about pitching GL to here!, because you know someone's thought of it already.)

• Members

I think the e-mail is bogus, if only because of the whole "we didn't want to consider being a soap channel" part. That is just not how a form letter response from a competent corporation would read. Clearly if the writer of the letter being responded to inquired about GL, they're a soap fan. And the kind of programming Lifetime runs appeals to many soap fans. If it didn't, they wouldn't feature so many soap stars or ex-soap stars in their films. Why would Lifetime insult those viewers that way especially if they were considering taking GL on? I just don't see that happening. The authentic responses that everyone else has gotten have a totally different tone. They're polite and totally uninformative.

Archived