Update on GL airing on Lifetime

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's why I don't understand the need to get the show to cable. They will probably lose viewers and get cancelled soon after anyways, so why not just accept it and give the fans a good ending while you have the chance? IIRC Passions lasted less than a year on cable before getting cancelled again and I've heard the show was less enjoyable after the move. I would be very surprised if GL is still around two years from now.

• Members

Its just prolonging the inevitable if you ask me.... If you want to keep the spirit of the true Guiding Light going, start syndicating classic eras of the show on the Youtube channel. That's the real way to keep these things going.....

• Members

Your right. It is prolonging the inevitable. If GL had a real chance of lasting many years longer on cable I could understand, but it doesn't so it just seems very pointless. I hate to see soaps cancelled but sometimes its best for to know when to quit. They should probably just focus on giving the show a proper and satisfying send off.

• Members

It would be weird but I'd tune in to Lifetime to see it. :lol: Please with all the proper ending. GL is too far gone in its production model to have anything decent. The whole Four Musketeers reunion was awful. The characters were all there but something was off. I've got to see it was the writing AND the awful production values.

• Members

I hope your right. Maybe I'm being too cynical but I don't have much hope that GL and the daytime genre as a whole can be truly saved by cable networks. But its true that Lifetime is a much better place to end up on than Direct TV and is probably as good a place as any for the show to move to.

• Members

This is really sad. I don't watch GL, but part of me wants it to make it, and the other part knows that if it does get picked up by lifetime, it will NEVER get the sendoff it so richly deserves. BUT- maybe the final episodes on CBS still could be an amazing finale, because the GL on Lifetime would probably be very, very different. She is a sap, but she loves the show.

• Members

If TeleNext is really interested in their soap properties, why don't they launch new projects for daytime, primetime, or the internet?

Years ago, someone suggested(during the launch of MyNetworkTV) that PGP should dig into it's lot and make telenovela reunions from some of their popular couples(i.e. a John/Sharlene novela).

Even if they didn't want to do that, why can't they focus on new projects at a cheaper cost, but still visually appealing? Shooting whatever new show they come up with in Canada or somewhere in the U.S. that give tax breaks/incentives for production companies?

But GL is over. Spin it off into something else for the internet or for cable, do something. But just rename the show.

• Members

Lifetime is an established channel but I have heard in the past few weeks that the network's daytime and late night is really hurting since they lost Golden Girls while Hallmark is said to be doing better - even prompting Hallmark to give Golden Girls part of their primetime lineup - taking the two hours that Walker Texas Ranger has had for years.

On another board I visit from time to time they said that Lifetime was really scrambling to find something to replace GG and gain some viewers back.

Archived