The Catlins

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Some brief clips featuring Alice Barrett Mitchell, Peter Boyton (the first online clips I've seen of him in the role of Beau), and Charles Hill.

Scene I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT5po_InRvo

Scene 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzgEsGSpK08

Scene 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78xnUZpEDX4

Scene 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SDPS5Snxnk

Scene 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQZvNqDYESE

• Members

Boyton's character Beau was the one Lauren Woodard had recently married in the July 1983 episode that was on youtube. Lauren was the tormented blonde ingénue pregnant by a Catlin and taunted by a catty Crissy Catlin. I'm not sure if Boyton played the character when Beau and Lauren were involved. Alice Mitchell Barrett stated spent most of the summer of 1984 with Boyton and Hill. By the fall, Boyton was released from his contract because the character was in Argentina at Thanksgiving.

Hill and Barrett have appeared in other episodes that popped up online. Barrett was briefly seen in the July 1984 episode at the very end drinking a soda at the race track while Julie Ridley's Maggie Catlin contemplated what to do about her relationship with Dirk. I think Lionel Richie's "Stuck on You" played in the background. Barrett and Hill also popped up in a November 1984 episode. They were in a cabin being watched by someone, or something. I'm not really sure where that story was going.

I'm wondering if this clip features the first appearance of Jacquie as she is being introduced to Beau and Woody, who were the major players. It does seem like she knows Lucian and that she is already working at the stables, so maybe she has been around for a little bit. Anyway, these were fun.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Marilyn Martin played Eleanor Quinn Catlin. She was credited in the July 17, 1983 episode that appeared on youtube several years back. I believe Martin was a local Atlanta talent, but she was quite effective.

Dawn Young credits herself as Valerie Kristopolis on her website. I believe she also has a twitter account. She claims her character was like Erica Kane. If you know the name, I'm sure you're aware Valerie had set her sights on T.J. Catlin.

Danfling, Libby Larsen played Vanessa Mahoney Crane. She is featured in the episode saynotoursoap has posted on youtube. Her character's family had a bit of story at the end. Senator Mahoney (James Condon) was running for office and being interviewed by Stacey Manning (Kay McClellan), who was actually Mahoney's illegitimate daughter. Stacey was involved with Cullen Quinn and Stacey's involvement with Mahoney was complication in their relationship. Vanessa's mother was Carla Lockridge Mahoney. In the one episode I saw with Carla, Vanessa horrified her mother by revealing that she had managed to escape the mental institution by sleeping with her psychiatrist.

There have been a handful of episodes from November and December 1984 online as well as solo episodes from July 1983 and 1984. By today's standards, they seem fine, but they were probably considered poor in the 1980s.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I had forgotten I had saved these. These are cast lists from a couple of the episodes that ended up on youtube.

July 1983

Catherine Catlin Mary Santacroce

T.J. Catlin J Don Ferguson

Annabelle Catlin Muriel Moore

Matthew Catlin Daniel Albright

Maggie Catlin Julie Ridley

Jonathan Catlin Jerry Homan

Jennifer Catlin Nancy Kennedy

Beau Catlin Larry Jordan

Lauren Woodward Christina Reguli

Eleanor Catlin Marilyn Martin

Powell Jackson Richard Fagan

Roger Brown Kent Whipple

Medgar Quinn Danny Nelson

Seth Quinn Brett Rice

Crissy Catlin Candy Howard

Gary Hopkins Fred Covington

Priscilla Wendy M Owens

Bryce Draper Charles Honce

Memphis Justine Thielman

Judge Wendall Jay McMillan

Darryl Chambers Darryl Cohen

Bobby Catlin Timothy Hill

Billy Braxton Benji Wilhoitte

Faith Braxton Marion Guyot

July 1984

Catherine Catlin MN Santacroce

TJ Catlin Michael Forrest

Annabelle Catlin Pamela Burrell

Maggie Catlin Julie Ridley Williams

Jonathan Catlin Jerry Homan

Jennifer Catlin Jennifer Anglin

Beau Catlin Peter Boynton

Jacqui Miller Alice Barrett

Woody Thorpe Charles Hill

Dirk Stack Joe Ranier

Staci Manning Kay McClelland

Andrea Smith Iris L. Roberts

Medgar Quinn Danny Nelson

Seth Quinn Brett Rice

Cullen Quinn McLinn Crowell

Truck Larsen Jerry Campbell

Babe Chalifoux Angie Boling

Memphis Morgan Justine Thielemann

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Receives some episodes/material in the mail regarding this one so more information will be forthcoming...

Mark Dember played Alex, the bad boyfriend, according to one article. The article was from the summer of 1984. I think he may have been Jennifer Catlins' Parisian boyfriend.

The Machiste/Joseph High Otter scenes that were previously online were from 1985. Machiste is credited in a February/March 1985 episode I received.

Dan Albright (Matt Catlin) and Marion Guyot (Faith Braxton) are still married in real life. Benji Wilhoite, a child actor who probably played Marion Guyot's son or kid brother, has since died. However, when on the show, he appeared in a Labor Day Parade with several of the cast members. At the end of the parade, he was lost and given comfort by Coretta Scott King. Later, Benji would befriend Jarrett Beal, an actor who appeared on "The Catlins" in 1985 as Montgomery "MG" O'Neil. Beal appears to be the son of Alveda King, Martin Luther King, Jr.'s niece.

Sam Smiley, the show's head writer for several months in spring/early summer 1983, talked about having conflict with the producers over storytelling. Smiley wanted to tell stories about "the inner human potential of the stories" and the "emotional or touching areas" while the producers preferred "melodrama and to make flashy things happen fast." In another article, C.T. McIntyre is on the spot writing the scripts which include the scenes where Lauren Woodard learns she is pregnant after firing the writers. So this means Smiley was probably in the credits until June/ early July.

C.T. McIntyre was a very hands on producer when it came to writing. He was dictating a lot of the story and the headwriters were expecting to plot the day to day out. When things didn't go his way, he would rewrite them.

Lucille Crowe was played by Jane Berman. Her character seems pretty substantial to the show's last year drifting from her own major summer storyline, to a thwarted romance with T.J. in the fall, and into a potentially more dynamic role in the Quinn family in the winter of 1985.

Didi Lanier arrived onscreen as Fayrene Bishop in May, 1984. Her son, John (Lapides? Lanier?), appeared on the show in 1984 as Quinn Catlin, the infant daughter of Jonathan and Eleanor Catlin. In the spring of 1983, Christina Reguli's (Lauren) daughter, Jessica Reguli, appeared as Stephanie Catlin, Jonathan and Eleanor's daughter. Tommy Hill's Bobby Catlin was actually the 13-year-old son of Matthew and Crissy Catlin.

Edited by dc11786