The Single Biggest Mistake that Resulted in GL's Cancellation

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Looking back, I wish I had tuned back in earlier to see some of the Olivia/Josh/Alan/Reva stuff, along with seeing Ross & Blake in their last frontburner story with Tori, plus the beginnings of the Gus/Harley relationship. But then at the same time there was still Santos mania, Beth as a San Criscoblob princess, and some teen murder with Romeo/Catalina or something. Tuning back in in time to see Joan Collins' full run as Alex was a great way to say Hello to Springfield again, though!

• Members

You're right. I forgot B&E created them. Labine came in after, but didn't she create Tony Santos as I think he first appeared in late 2001. Her tenure was definitely off and on for me. More off than on.

• Members

I'm in total agreement here! JC as Alex was fantastic and the show was finally headed in the right direction. I wish Millie Taggart would have stayed. Her under Rauch toward the end of his run wasn't bad. Conboy on the other hand, enters Weston... :rolleyes:

• Members

I don't believe you can truly point at one cause either, but a "perfect storm" of events. Lack of leadership right at the top...how many HW's has GL had since '94 (arguably the last "golden age" of the show)??? How many EP's??? Just as in football, the constant turnover leads to inconsistant performance.

The show lost key characters (ranging from Ed, Ross, Phillip, Roger) and suffered through multiple recasts of others. For every successful recast (think Dinah) there were disasters (Daniel Pilon as Alan, the revolving Lizzie's, the laughable interchangeable Boudreaux's) that really ruined the "family" feeling of the show.

Banking too heavily on some "supercouples"....before Jammy (which was arguably the most controversial pairing they'd done since the Roger/Holly redux) and even before Gush (which if you didn't like them, was like nails on chalkboard) there was Danny/Michelle, sprinkled with huge amounts of Cassie/Richard.

Now, all that being said, personally I think if there's any defining moment, it was the Jammy pairing, coupled with Josh/Cassie. I think Wheeler and Krietzman crossed a line in the name of "drama" and forgot the MOST important thing---WHO their audience was. All the energy that went into selling and defending that couple, looking for the teen demo turned off their core audience---what mother or grandmother wants to watch first cousins goin' at it, when Jonathan was one of the most odious sleezes ever created? And the way Josh/Cassie hooked up practically over Reva's dead body?? There's another nice "message"---a woman would rather die alone and worry about her sister's love life.

• Members

I never got the hard-on Wheeler and Krietzman had for the character or Pelphrey. But ignoring the cousins aspect of it---I think they completely lost perspective on Jonathan. They boxed him into a corner early, and thought they didn't have to redeem him. That simply having Tammy fall for him would be enough to do that. Huge miscalculation IMO. I was completely ticked off they sent him off with Sarah in tow. I feared for that child. If there's one thing I hope they do, it's give her back to Lizzie before the end.

• Members

There is no single biggest mistake, more like 1 years if mistakes that they never got over.

I guess if i were to pikc one it would be Maureen Bauer's death. Because the show never recovered from it.

However many many many big mistakes are to blame. from the network ot P&G to eps and hws.

the new production model was prob the final nail, along with awful ratings. but then again the new production model is what made it go on longer, who knows if thats a good thing or bad thing tho.

• Members

^^^

I'm not a Jammy fan, but he didn't rape Tammy. She consented and I remember HIM asking at least once was she sure, and she said yeah. The fact that he lied about who he was, still doesn't make it rape to me. After she found out the truth, she wasn't mad they had sex, she was mad that he was her cousin. JMHO.

• Members

Yes, but Jonathan withheld information that prevented her from making an informed consent. I doubt she would have consented had she found that part out. Being fraudulant with your identity, I believe, is a legal qualification of rape in many states.

• Members

I'm so gonna sidestep the entire rape debate. Men have been lying to women since time began to get sex. It's the fact that Tammy ignored why Jonathan got her into bed, that pissed me off. Instead of standing up for herself and refusing to accept that kind of treatment (and what it said about him), she completely gave in to his degradation of her and her entire family to get laid. It ruined her as a "heroine" for a lot of people.

Jonathan was a drug-dealing SOB when we met him. He raged out of control on a daily basis. He threatened to kill people (probably) every week, including Reva. I think TIIC tried to "be true" to the character, and forgot that redemption is just as important in the long term growth of a character. I honestly don't think Tammy was a strong enough character to "buy" her love as redeeming him.

• Members

This weekend, Kim Zimmer and Robert Newman were at the Soap Stock weekend and right before they performed a duet of "Unforgettable" Kim Zimmer told the fans:

"Bradley Cole, I love him to death, and Reva and Jeffrey are another story for another time but if the show is indeed going off the air, I want to go off with Robert"

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2009/04/zimmer-...ith-robert.html

There is an actual video of her saying these words.

• Members

The show should've never been cancelled, as much as it should've walked away with dignity and began again with something new. For maintaining the portion of viewers it did for 72 years, I think it achieved the impossible. Times have changed and the show couldn't respond to that in the right amount of time.

Archived