ABC and their actor's contracts

• Members

According to Daytime Confidential:

"ABC is playing fast and loose with what it means to be 'on contract' these days," says a source. "At one show people are being told they will remain in the opening credits and still appear on contract, although they will really be on recurring status, as long as this doesn't leak to the press, they will be safe."

The "show" in question is most likely General Hospital. I am not sure that I believe this. Any thoughts?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's both shows. But at the same time, totally. When was the last time James Mitchell was scene? I could watch Palmer Courtlandt for hours as opposed to Zack, Ryan and 50% of the current cast that is on everyday.

• Members

I was thinking GH because of all the rumors about GV and BH being on recurring. Yet GH announced that Rick Hearts and Megan Ward were on recurring so maybe it isn't that show. I find it hard to believe that ABC would go through all this trouble to hide putting actors on recurring.

• Members

I caved in and read Branco's drivel. Good to see that he is crediting the sources of his scoop these days. I don't buy anything that he says about Bloom. Also, I simply do not believe that Guza and JFP have enough pull to get Frons the Daytime head job. Networks are big corporations where decisions on that management level are made on multiple levels, no way a soap writer and producer have enough influence to get Frons a job that big.

• Members

Babs and JHC are very good friends. It's all about doing a favour and then taking a favour when you need it. Who knows what'll happen to either one at their respective networks. If Babs gets fired, it's off to AMC as a writer, if JHC gets fired, it's off to CBS as a consultant.

Guza, JFP = Frons. I can see it. Angela Shapiro had a big hand in picking her successor and she's friends with both Guza and JFP, I think she would have listened to them.

The "contract" status at ABC...it's true. There are a number of actors, at AMC and GH to my knowledge, that are 'on contract and in the credits' but are paid like recurring actors.

• Members

Probably is several people at all three shows on ABC daytime..... Walt Willey, James Mitchell, Ray MacDonnell are all likely candidates at All My Children.... and perhaps even David Canary at this point.

• Members

Yeah, ceremonial contract status... which was very kind of them, considering for the last 3 years of her life, she only appeared one time.... the 35th anniversary. Her last year of regular appearances was 2002 I believe.

Archived