February 23-27, 2009

Toups

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That jackass is a terrible writer. How come fans can watch Y&R 5 days a week? Good writing = fans tuning in. How can you recast all these people and expect people to keep tuning in too? I swear, uneducated ass clowns are in charge of the P&G soaps.

• Members

Almost all the soaps have bad producers at the moment (even Rauch is uneven, it's just that Y&R was so bad what is on now is an improvement), and sinking ratings. I think Goutman deserves to be fired, but not for the comments. I doubt he's the only person in daytime who feels this way, he was just stupid enough to say it out loud.

I can't call for Wheeler's firing because I suspect if she did go, they'd just get someone even worse. Or they'd just cancel GL entirely. I just hope their ratings don't drop again because if they do I'd be surprised if they didn't cancel GL. I guess the return of Grady and his entourage (Ashlee, Daisy) brought the drop.

I'm sorry to see the ratings go down for most of the soaps. I don't think any of them were suddenly so bad that they deserved a drop, people probably just no longer have any faith in their shows, so they tune in and out.

• Members

He's actually not entirely wrong and the ratings prove it. It used to be that people watched four- to five-times a week in the 70s and 80s that dropped in the 90s and has fallen further in this decade. If you take the ratings and, say, everyone who watched the show three days a week, watched one more episode, ratings would go up by 33%. It doesn't take much (or the other way around if a five-day viewer drops to four, ratings drop by 20%). If it weren't for my DVR and the ability to store lots of episode and then do a marathon, I wouldn't be able to keep up. I don't know anyone who stays at home and watches it live everyday. I do know lots of people who tape or DVR, though.

• Members

I know a lot of people who tape five days a week but they barely watch more than a third of each episode; they just have their favorites and they have people who they can't stand, and they know what to skim through. Some of this is due to lack of time and some of this is due to the defensive position many soap fans are in now. If there was a soap which was so good that you had to watch most of every day, then the ratings for the show might hold up, but right now there aren't any.

If someone like Ron Carlivarti, a very popular writer, made this quote, I wonder if he would have faced the same reaction Goutman received. ATWT is not watchable even one day a week, so the quote seems more ridiculous coming from him.

• Members

I LOVE that the crown jewel GH tanked. LOVE IT. I started to get into GH in December and the show has sucked for the last 6 weeks. That whole hospital storyline was absolutely dreadful. The what if so and so died storyline was laughably bad. GH has no balance. NONE.

I don't watch AMC. Its seemed to gain a few viewers and keep them.

OLTL sucked for the last two months. Its somewhat better but is in this weird transition phase. Way to many new characters at the forefront. Viki is a footnote. I am not the biggest Rex/Gigi fan and they are 50% of the show. And all these kids. i think Schyler is great (love the actor) but they are going to destroy his character. Could give a f-ck less about ANYONE'S Parentage at this point. None of them.

The 18-49 still sucks and they only gained 34,000 viewers and is still ABC's lowest rated soap. I am curious to see what the show is like this summer.

My bottom line- FIRE KRISTEN ALDERSON. GET RID OF THIS WEIRD LOOKING TERRIBLE ACTRESS. STOP throwing new characters in the forefront immediately. How stupid can ABC be? Bill Bell understood this concept. No one else does. And could Viki get some kind of a storyline?

And poor GL, it was looking up for that show.

• Members

I'm still an old school watcher and proud of it.

If I watch a show I watch the whole hour. I don't use my FF button for anything but the commercials. I hate them and they are my total #1 reason for taping anything - 2nd being when I am just not able to watch.

I am still watching AMC and OLTL at least 4 days a week. Y&R I watch via You Tube since I don't have SoapNet anymore and I usually catch up on it on the weekend, and GH I watch maybe 1 or 2 days a week.

I think time issues do have a lot to do with what people watch these days but I think more of it has to do with people and their faves. I think more people are devoted to certain parts of shows and not the shows anymore. It is just a fact and I don't say that to offend anyone as I am constantly accused of doing. It is just a fact.

Case in point there is a lot of positive remarks about GL these days - more than I have seen in a long time - but at the base of it you will explore more or you read the open comments and it is more often about Otalia or Phillip and not the show itself. On some boards Otalia is starting to get the fanbase treatment that Nuke and others have gotten. And you are starting to read things where if the show is on and Otalia are on for 5 minutes it was a great show but if they aren't on at all then the show was bad.

All of that plays so much into what people watch. I think there are still a lot of devoted fans out there - off the Internet - who do watch everyday or all of the show. They like me do have their faves or parts of the show they enjoy the most but they do watch.

As far as the Internet fans go, the producers and the networks make it too easy for the fans not to watch their shows 4 or 5 days a week. For one they let them know what days certain people are going to be on and for those devoted to one part of the show or aspect of the show know what days to tune in. Also some shows like Y&R peruse You Tube and delete some parts they call copyright infringement but in the process they never delete any of the "couple" or "character" edits of the show. these are where fan bases tape each show and then delete anything that was not centered around their fave and post that on the Internet.

Also we have more ways available not to plan to watch our shows these days. We have always heard the old saying that we make time for what is important to us. If we did not have so many other ways to catch our show these days, the devoted fans would often make some way to watch their shows live. But we don't have too anymore. We know that we can either catch it online, tape it, DVR it, etc. So we don't have to make that plan anymore.

So I think a lot of the stuff is just an outcome of the product of our times. Others are just changes in the way people watch these days.

• Members

I think GL fans (or some of us anyway) want to like the whole show, but there's a big disparity in the quality of some of the material. I think GL is moving closer to being a show with one theme, but they have a long way to go, if they even get the opportunity. I was watching almost every scene until they brought Grady and the kidnapping and Mallet and Marina back.

On most of the soaps, you start to think you can tell who the favorites of the producers/headwriters/network heads are, which might be from the influence of the Internet, what other fans say give you ideas, or the people who run the shows are now less even-handed than they were in the past. I think it's especially heavy-handed on Frons shows, and on Y&R and ATWT. I think when the people who run the shows are blatant in their preferences, the audience is more likely to have the same attitude.

• Members

Big wow.....AMC with 2.6 mill viewers and 2.0 HH rating...something to really write about ...NOT! :lol::P

All ths soaps except for Y&R suck in the ratings. Tbey should all be cancelled. End them of their misery.

ATWT deserves the 1.9 for the week. It was awful last week and this week hasnt been any better!

Archived