January 26-30, 2009

Toups

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hundreds of thousands of people didn't simply decide to watch soaps last week because Y&R is good. They were inside because the weather sucked and didn't couldn't go to work so they fell back into their old habit of watching the soaps. Hopefully, Y&R is good enough that they continue to watch and record after the weather improves in a couple weeks and they have to go back to work or do other things, but this specific weekly increase is all the weather.

I know there is a lot of enthusiasm about Y&R's ratings of late, but January and February are months where the soaps' ratings then to trend upwards due to the weather keeping people inside. If Y&R's ratings continue to increase in March and April, then there is real cause to celebrate and be optimistic that things are turning around.

• Members

I'm so happy that GL's biggest days were Otalia days. I can't believe they hit over 2.6 million for Wednesday! I know all the CBS soaps went up those days, but this is the second week in a row that GL's biggest days have been Otalia days. I hope GL keeps them front-burner and keeps Mallet/Marina in the mountains. Tuesday/Wednesday were also the days that Alan found out about Beth/Coop so good story there again. And GL has only gotten BETTER this week. It says a lot about how good GL has been when Y&R has been soooo good too and I haven't even really cared cause I've been so into GL. I am anxiously awaiting next week's ratings and hope GL can keep up the good work! Next week: Phillip! :D

• Members

I'm surprised Y&R and B&B lost a half million viewers between Wednesday and Friday. I guess they had more to lose than the other soaps.

I really think soaps should start working on strong Thursday cliffhangers as well as Friday cliffhangers.

I'm pleased to see that the male viewer increase SteveFrame mentioned seemed to help the CBS soaps more than the ABC soaps. ABC is awash in misogyny and some bizarre need to denigrate women for the sake of men. I don't believe most men share this view and I think ABC will recover when Frons and his attitudes are gone.

• Members

Well from looking at the dailies- There was obviously some weather issue on Wednesday (That started Tuesday) The ratings for CBS especially went through the roof. 4.4 Y&R NICE!!!!!!!!6,000,000 viewers sounds insane these days..

But sadly, by Friday Y&R was back to a 3.8. And all soaps went down after Weds.

OLTL's ratings are an embarrassment across the board- I am embarrassed for the show. Carlivati is the best writer we are going to get and I would hate to see another hack come on board to lead the show into its final years...

Its just what Frons will enjoy seeing though, the bastard stepchild now performing like one!!

AMC's ratings were pretty consistent the whole week, too.

• Members

That is EXACTLY what Y&R did this week, with Brad being found under the ice on a Thursday. I do agree, though, that some of this is an artificial bump (bad weather).

I need to plot these trends....I'm thinking maybe we're out of the "monolithic decline" trajectory finally.

• Members

I almost choked when I saw Y&R get 6 million viewers and a 4.4 on Wednesday. That's got to be good for the soap industry. Soaps have just proven that they'll be around forever since there are a lot of syndication shows out there barely getting over 1.5 million viewers. You know Y&R is doing good when we look at 3.7 or 3.8 as a disappointing rating when it was a high for the show just a few months ago.

OLTL has the best writer in daytime outside of Hogan Sheffer and had the ratings not been this bad we would be praising this guy. When ratings go down or a team plays terrible we blame the coach/manager, in soaps we blame the writer first.

I think Ron C.'s writing as of late on OLTL is going to start reflecting in the ratings real soon.

GH knows how to bring in a crowd for stunts better than anybody else.

DAYS is the best story on NBC outside of football. LOL!

• Members

Great numbers for Y&R on Tuesday and Wednesday. A 4.4 is just shocking now adays.

Eh...compared to the other soaps it is still disappointing. Let's see what the new(favorites) coming back does to their ratings.

Shocked at the number. But Monday's ending was the best cliffhanger I have seen in years from ATWT.

Archived