The X-Files: Discussion Thread

bandbfan

• Members

I think 8-10 is the max Gillian Anderson would go for given her busy schedule (she's also just picked up Bryan Fuller's American Gods on HBO). That being said, I think 6 would have been fine with more skilled writers and a cohesive thread through the stories. I enjoyed the whole thing as a messy romp of good and bad, but I am not that invested in TXF.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

Glad they got the right number of episodes this time.

They could've done it with six, really, but Chris Carter's overbearing hand really damaged the quality on the last season - it varied between great fun, mediocre and outright terrible from week to week, and both the premiere and finale were very bad thanks to him.  He's a great idea man but when it comes to individual episodes he's more and more the show's worst enemy.

I would like to believe he'll have a more hands-on writers' room with stronger collaboration this time, but I have my doubts. Either way, I'll still enjoy seeing it.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Season 11 will largely dump mythology episodes -- only 2 out of 10 will be mythology. 

I have yet to finish Season 10, but I understand the thinking behind it -- for example, the were-monster episode was brilliant, and I liked that they blended standalone episodes with some mythology, like the Band-Aid Nose Man and Scully's son. I was hoping for more of that. Why not simply write better mythology episodes?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I finally saw the last two episodes of Season 10.

The one with the terrorists, the trumpets, etc. was ridiculous. I did really like Miller and Einstein though (even if their parallels to Mulder and Scully are too obvious) and the cameos from Smoking Man and The Lone Gunmen. I never thought I'd see Mulder in cowboy garb two-stepping it (and did I spot Mitch Pileggi in a cowboy hat too? LOL).

I really wanted to like "My Struggle II". I enjoyed it well enough but the whole thing was average at best. That being said, some good moments were SM taking off his mask (ew), seeing Monica again, and the cliffhanger scene was unexpected and a good ending. 

The way they cut from "I don't know where [William] is" to Miller had me making up all kinds of conspiracies in my head

Please register in order to view this content

Could it be?

On to Season 11! 

• Members

Chris Carter has stated that if Gillian goes, he no longer wants to do the show, so who knows.

To me, Gillian is the MVP on this show. Mulder is replaceable, as proven by the criminally underrated Robert Patrick, but she isn't.

They should just end it after this season, IMO.

• 4 months later...

Archived