Jump to content

The Politics Thread


Recommended Posts

 

 

Another shining moment for our self-appointed moral conscience, who can roll in his wads of cash as Democrats lose the House and Senate. If they do hold on, it sure as hell isn't because of him, or his partner in purity from Arizona. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 37k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • DRW50

    4850

  • Vee

    4821

  • DramatistDreamer

    4573

  • Khan

    3055

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

 

I included the second tweet because I pretty much agree with it. And this on top of cutting unemployment benefits. All so we can get a round of backpatting over fiscal conservatism. This is really a lousy idea that is going to drown out much of the popular support this bill could have had.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's Manchin for you. But while I don't agree with cutting the income level and that will affect some, I don't think that many of the general public will notice any of this skullduggery much. What trends on Twitter for a few hours is not what drowns out public discourse. And they're not cutting UI.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's amazing to watch people on the left talk about who won't be showing up to the polls in 2022 or 2024 as if everyone lives on Twitter and nothing could possibly happen in the interim that would affect how and why people vote.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, marceline said:

It's amazing to watch people on the left talk about who won't be showing up to the polls in 2022 or 2024 as if everyone lives on Twitter and nothing could possibly happen in the interim that would affect how and why people vote.

 

Unfortunately due to the wave of voter suppression laws being passed (and, again thanks to Manchin and Sinema, probably not going to be addressed by Congress), even these votes on the margins may be deciding.

50 minutes ago, Vee said:

That's Manchin for you. But while I don't agree with cutting the income level and that will affect some, I don't think that many of the general public will notice any of this skullduggery much. What trends on Twitter for a few hours is not what drowns out public discourse. And they're not cutting UI.

 

I hope people will not punish the Democrats who did try, but I feel like all of these posturing games are leaving a lot of Democrats hanging out to dry, especially those like Raphael Warnock who campaigned on 2K.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, marceline said:

It's amazing to watch people on the left talk about who won't be showing up to the polls in 2022 or 2024 as if everyone lives on Twitter and nothing could possibly happen in the interim that would affect how and why people vote.

 

Dave Weigel lives in a world where he must choose between common sense and politely appeasing the deranged rantings of Brianha Joy Gray to prove he is left enough and often opts for Door #2, and thinks all Democratic voters do the same. But this is also coming from the same brain trust of folks who believed that if Pelosi and Schumer had just held a vote at 3 AM EST the day of the Capitol siege, Congressional GOP would've voted to impeach Trump.

 

It's not a small concession on lowering the limit, and I don't like it. But I do understand it, and I also don't trust in or take seriously either a) Twitter warriors of the left who view everything through a catastrophizing lens for Dems, either because of endless PTSD or because they simply want the party destroyed for not kowtowing to them, or b) Beltway pundits who live to handicap Dems at all costs and so always spin everything on behalf of the moderate or conservative voices in the caucus if not in the GOP itself. There is a more nuanced take than any of that, and I don't think any of this particular round of minutiae will have much bearing on '22 which will be tough no matter what.

Edited by Vee
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Vee said:

It's not a small concession on lowering the limit, and I don't like it. But I do understand it, and I also don't trust in or take seriously either a) Twitter warriors of the left who view everything through a catastrophizing lens for Dems, either because of endless PTSD or because they simply want the party destroyed for not kowtowing to them, or b) Beltway pundits who live to handicap Dems at all costs and so always spin everything on behalf of the moderate or conservative voices in the caucus if not in the GOP itself. There is a more nuanced take than any of that, and I don't think any of this particular round of minutiae will have much bearing on '22 which will be tough no matter what.

The limit is going from $80,000 to $75,000. I thought it was 75 to begin with, so what is the POINT of dropping it. All it does is give the GOP a talking point. And it's not worth it.  

 

The idea of dropping the $400 unemployment supplement to $300 is also stupid. Again so little money sounds pointless.

 

If they got a commitment from Manchin on the filibuster in return for this so that they can pass HR1 then I'd get it.

 

 

EDIT: So sorry I got this mixed up. It zeros out at 80k. This is a even dumber move.

Edited by JaneAusten
Link to post
Share on other sites

This I am happy to see.  Klobuchar is a workhorse in the senate and this means something that she's come out for abolishing the filibuster.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, JaneAusten said:

The limit is going from $80,000 to $75,000. I thought it was 75 to begin with, so what is the POINT of dropping it. All it does is give the GOP a talking point. And it's not worth it.  

 

The idea of dropping the $400 unemployment supplement to $300 is also stupid. Again so little money sounds pointless.

 

If they got a commitment from Manchin on the filibuster in return for this so that they can pass HR1 then I'd get it.

 

EDIT: So sorry I got this mixed up. It zeros out at 80k. This is a even dumber move.

 

I have a feeling that he told them he wouldn't vote for it at all unless they did this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have my doubts, but I can't blame them for not wanting to risk it on the first major bill of this administration. They do need to get him up against a wall soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JaneAusten said:

The idea of dropping the $400 unemployment supplement to $300 is also stupid.

 

It's not dropping, last I checked. Manchin gave up on that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

He's absolutely right, and this is something that has been pointed out and autopsied for years since Obamacare and those midterms, when gunshy Dems ran away from it. Though of course you'll have people tearing down the bill for not being perfect. Which is why more will be necessary.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Vee
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Vee said:

He's absolutely right, and this is something that has been pointed out and autopsied for years since Obamacare and those midterms, when gunshy Dems ran away from it. Though of course you'll have people tearing down the bill for not being perfect. Which is why more will be necessary.

 

 

 

 

I'm with you on this in fact they need to have a messaging campaign on this and NOT let the fascists drive the narrative. FDR used to have signage and messaging all over the CCC and WPA projects that were being worked on all over the country.  They should brand the American Recover Act and advertise. Sounds tacky but it is needed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Community Activity

    1. 37,007

      The Politics Thread

    2. 10,250

      Y&R: Old Articles

    3. 32,607

      Bravo's The Real Housewives of....

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy