Jump to content

The Politics Thread


Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, I Am A Swede said:

 

These two incidents are most likely part of the escalating conflict that started with the gruesome murder of teacher Samuel Paty a few weeks ago.

 

Yes, but it seems to reach back to the Charlie Hebo related attacks a few years ago, no?

There seems to be a connecting thread between these strings of terrorist attacks. An ongoing struggle over perceived values (religious vs. secular).

 

France still insists that immigrants assimilate to the French ethos, even as they isolate immigrants to the banlieus without much hope for better. This seems like a recipe for radicalization. And since the supermarket terrorist attacks a few years ago, it just seems as though there is now a pipeline, with radicals, whether homegrown or newly migrant encouraged by previous terrorist acts to attempt their own acts of terror.

Every nation struggles with some aspect of terrorism, but part of me cannot help but think that France is going about things in the wrong way.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Replies 36.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • DRW50

    4824

  • Vee

    4758

  • DramatistDreamer

    4562

  • Khan

    3055

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, DramatistDreamer said:

 

Yes, but it seems to reach back to the Charlie Hebo related attacks a few years ago, no?

There seems to be a connecting thread between these strings of terrorist attacks. An ongoing struggle over perceived values (religious vs. secular).

 

France still insists that immigrants assimilate to the French ethos, even as they isolate immigrants to the banlieus without much hope for better. This seems like a recipe for radicalization. And since the supermarket terrorist attacks a few years ago, it just seems as though there is now a pipeline, with radicals, whether homegrown or newly migrant encouraged by previous terrorist acts to attempt their own acts of terror.

Every nation struggles with some aspect of terrorism, but part of me cannot help but think that France is going about things in the wrong way.

 

I think this goes way deeper than the Charlie Hebdo attacks.

And it's an incredibly complex problem that is not going to go away easily, if at all. And it's also not just in France. We're seeing the same problems here in Sweden, and most likely all over Europe.

Immigrants from Africa and elsewhere are coming to Europe in search of a better life and a future, but what they find is in many cases unemployment and new hardships. I can mostly just speak for how it is here of course, but our society just hasn't been able to cope with all these people. There are not enough jobs to go around, and during the great migration crisis a few years ago things got so bad that we didn't even have somewhere to house all the people coming here. We're still struggling with the effects of that period. 

Add to this the major cultural differences that exists and you have a recipe for disaster.

 

This is just scratching the surface of course. There are so many aspects to this problem... sociological, religious, cultural, economical, and yes even racial. Racism has always been a part of European society and the horrors of WWII and the nazis are not as prominent in people's minds anymore. It's just 75 years since the war ended and you're already hearing a lot of rhetoric similar to what you'd hear in the 1930s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, I Am A Swede said:

 

I think this goes way deeper than the Charlie Hebdo attacks.

And it's an incredibly complex problem that is not going to go away easily, if at all. And it's also not just in France. We're seeing the same problems here in Sweden, and most likely all over Europe.

Immigrants from Africa and elsewhere are coming to Europe in search of a better life and a future, but what they find is in many cases unemployment and new hardships. I can mostly just speak for how it is here of course, but our society just hasn't been able to cope with all these people. There are not enough jobs to go around, and during the great migration crisis a few years ago things got so bad that we didn't even have somewhere to house all the people coming here. We're still struggling with the effects of that period. 

Add to this the major cultural differences that exists and you have a recipe for disaster.

 

This is just scratching the surface of course. There are so many aspects to this problem... sociological, religious, cultural, economical, and yes even racial. Racism has always been a part of European society and the horrors of WWII and the nazis are not as prominent in people's minds anymore. It's just 75 years since the war ended and you're already hearing a lot of rhetoric similar to what you'd hear in the 1930s.

 

In the case of France, don't forget about France's relationship as a colonizer to the countries that many migrants have come from. That makes it much closer to the likes of Great Britain (see Windrush Scandal). The difference lies in how isolated these migrant communities remain in the Paris suburbs vis a vis London.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I never really thought Biden was going to win Iowa anyway, but if that Selzer polling is accurate (and that's being questioned in spite of its sterling reputation because some of the House results are very out of whack), along with Emerson showing Trump winning NE-02 (although again the poll methodology is questionable), it may suggest some sort of comeback. I figured this was going to be close, which is extremely dangerous because the courts will likely give Trump a close election. 

 

More from Texas:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Selzer is way off in that poll. It's an outlier compared to what other pollsters are showing. It's not out of the question for Trump to win Iowa, but not by 7%. The poll seems to be under counting Democratic support.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

I never really thought Biden was going to win Iowa anyway, but if that Selzer polling is accurate (and that's being questioned in spite of its sterling reputation because some of the House results are very out of whack), along with Emerson showing Trump winning NE-02 (although again the poll methodology is questionable), it may suggest some sort of comeback. I figured this was going to be close, which is extremely dangerous because the courts will likely give Trump a close election. 

 

More from Texas:

 

 

Republicans at least the ones on other forums that go to, have said that the polls have been wrong all along and Trump is going to win a landslide. The polls in their opinion, doesn't take account for all of the Trump support that is out there. 

Edited by sivad40
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sivad40 said:

Republicans at least the ones on other forums that go to, have said that the polls have been wrong all along and Trump is going to win a landslide. The polls in their opinion, doesn't take account for all of the Trump support that is out there. 

 

Those people are cultists. Most of the polls in the swing states have always been close. This has never been a blowout election. What we are now seeing suggests even further tightening, along with the already strong likelihood of Republicans keeping the Senate further increasing. It's a pretty bleak scenario, but nothing polling has ever argued against. 

 

Meanwhile, voters in North Carolina were pepper-sprayed today, and arrested, along with reporters.

 

 

Trump is also retweeting and bragging about his supporters in Texas trying to kill Biden supporters yesterday.

 

If any of you here are voting in person, my thoughts are with you. This is getting uglier by the day and it has only just started. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump is more likely to win New Guinea. 

 

The next time the media tries to parade Sean Spicer around, remind them that he went running to Newsmax after all their rehab efforts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say I'm pretty hopeful. One of my high school friends just voted for Biden along with her teenage daughter. I have never met a person more apathetic to politics. These people are living in poverty in the armpit of upstate NY, prime Trump country. Her mother was a proud Trumper and has turned against him. That's anecdotal, but I think the large turnout is in our favor.

10 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

Trump is more likely to win New Guinea. 

 

The next time the media tries to parade Sean Spicer around, remind them that he went running to Newsmax after all their rehab efforts.

Exactly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Tell a friend

    Love Soap Opera Network Community? Tell a friend!
  • Posts

    • And he just won the JFK Profile in Courage award.  He must still bow down to his constituents in Utah.
    • You mean when Will was riding Paul?
    • Have been scrolling through a site with random old Australian TV listings and discovered that ATWT aired in primetime in Sydney on Ch 7 in 1974! It's from Thursday Nov 28th at 8.30pm, This is the blurb... Carol returns home and asks Tom to give up Natalie Bannon's case. Grant and Joyce have a showdown and Grant decides not to divorce her until she has fully recovered. So it seems not to far behind the US storylines. Quite frankly I'm surprised that Oz execs would take to a daytime soap that had been running for nearly 20 years and expect viewers to be interested. Meanwhile the same channel was airing DOOL, Y&R and GH during the day. The Melbourne listings for the same evening do not have ATWT in the schedule, in fact the entire schedule was different. So it looks like ATWT was Sydney only exclusive. Wonder if it was nightly and how long it lasted?
    • Ahem, did we know that Tanner Novlan (Dr. Finn Without Personality) is married to actress Kayla Ewell who starred on B&B from 2004-2005 as Caitlin Ramirez (daughter of Sydney Penny and Lorenzo Lamas) who was Thomas' first teen love!?   We now go back to your regular scheduled programming in session...
  • Recent Status Updates

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy