Jump to content

The Politics Thread


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 33.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • DRW50

    4569

  • DramatistDreamer

    4373

  • Vee

    3985

  • Khan

    2808

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Juliajms there are so many Beltway figures and so many fauxgressives who are united in shaming those who worry about this coup. You can really tell how worried they are about their gravy train.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@DRW50 I find it terrifying. Then people say "well, the military won't allow it".  Really? That's a pretty vague assurance. Who in the military will stop him and how?  They might not physically fight for Trump, but they won't stop a bloodless coup. As far as I know there isn't even a process for them to do so.

 

I may not like Ayn Rand, but she had a point when she said "It's not who will give me permission, it's who will stop me" (paraphrase") . I haven't seen a lot of people stopping Trump so far. I'd sure like to know what the plan is to stop him if there is one. I hope the people who matter have come up with one.

Edited by Juliajms
Link to post
Share on other sites

If the election ends up looking something like Florida and Biden wins the electoral college narrowly then I could see Trump maybe pulling off a coup like Bush did. But if Biden is winning decisively and gets over 300 electoral votes then the court is not going to intervene.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ReddFoxx said:

If the election ends up looking something like Florida and Biden wins the electoral college narrowly then I could see Trump maybe pulling off a coup like Bush did. But if Biden is winning decisively and gets over 300 electoral votes then the court is not going to intervene.

 

Yeah, but the "ifs" are the kicker. Per reports, Arizona and Florida are inexplicably tightening. We need a tsunami. That will be the ONLY way to avoid the GOP fascist takeover.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ReddFoxx said:

If the election ends up looking something like Florida and Biden wins the electoral college narrowly then I could see Trump maybe pulling off a coup like Bush did. But if Biden is winning decisively and gets over 300 electoral votes then the court is not going to intervene.

 

Once Trump gets that extra vote on the Supreme Court, he can do whatever he wants. 

 

29 minutes ago, Wendy said:

Yeah, but the "ifs" are the kicker. Per reports, Arizona and Florida are inexplicably tightening. We need a tsunami. That will be the ONLY way to avoid the GOP fascist takeover.

 

Florida is, at heart, a Republican state in the last decade, and those who run it fight any changes tooth and nail:

 

 

Democrats need to redirect money elsewhere while they still can.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

 

Once Trump gets that extra vote on the Supreme Court, he can do whatever he wants.

There's a lot the court will do, but there is only so far that they will go. A huge defeat is not going to be overturned.

 

43 minutes ago, Wendy said:

 

Yeah, but the "ifs" are the kicker. Per reports, Arizona and Florida are inexplicably tightening. We need a tsunami. That will be the ONLY way to avoid the GOP fascist takeover.

There have been some outliers, but for the most part I think there is an underestimation of Biden in polling at the state level. Plus some pollsters have created more strict likely voter screens after 2016.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ReddFoxx said:

There's a lot the court will do, but there is only so far that they will go. A huge defeat is not going to be overturned.

 

I don't believe that anymore, but at this point my opinion isn't the main thing to focus on anyway, so I will stop.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is wise to be concerned about any tricks the might occur with the election results and I have concerns too. Thankfully voter registrations have gone up in the past week so hopefully that meant more voters to help put Trump out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Wendy said:

 

Yeah, but the "ifs" are the kicker. Per reports, Arizona and Florida are inexplicably tightening. We need a tsunami. That will be the ONLY way to avoid the GOP fascist takeover.

 

The polls only tightened. because a couple of garbage outlier polls got counted. The way I keep myself sane(ish) when dealing with polls is to see if there are three consecutive polls showing similar results. There's very little chance he wins Arizona. He's routinely down by five points there. FL is pretty much 50/50. Also, apparently turnout is INSANE right now and a lot of it looks to be from people who didn't vote in 2016.

 

I know people are getting really freaked out now but Trump and the GOP are counting on that. The latest doomsday porn is because Trump won't agree to a peaceful transition of power but it's not up to him. His term ends on 1/20/21 whether he likes it or not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Juliajms said:

@DRW50 I find it terrifying. Then people say "well, the military won't allow it".  Really? That's a pretty vague assurance. Who in the military will stop him and how?  They might not physically fight for Trump, but they won't stop a bloodless coup. As far as I know there isn't even a process for them to do so.

 

Let me talk you down on that.

 

The Joint Chiefs have already stated that they won't intervene on any issues involved with transfer of power. I think that Lafayette Square mess was the gut-check many of them needed. Also, I know people love to think that the military unilaterally loves Trump but remember, the military is made up of plenty of Black & brown people, and women, and yes plenty of white guys who vote Democratic. And this is all before the confirmation of Trump calling the military suckers and losers. And lastly, as of 1/20/21 Trump is no longer Commander-in-Chief. He won't be able to order them to do anything

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marceline said:

 

Let me talk you down on that.

 

The Joint Chiefs have already stated that they won't intervene on any issues involved with transfer of power. I think that Lafayette Square mess was the gut-check many of them needed. Also, I know people love to think that the military unilaterally loves Trump but remember, the military is made up of plenty of Black & brown people, and women, and yes plenty of white guys who vote Democratic. And this is all before the confirmation of Trump calling the military suckers and losers. And lastly, as of 1/20/21 Trump is no longer Commander-in-Chief. He won't be able to order them to do anything

Thank you. I am definitely feeling the anxiety the closer we get to the election. I just have to stay off Twitter for a few months. It feeds my fear.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...