Jump to content

The Politics Thread


Recommended Posts



  • Replies 36.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • DRW50

    4824

  • Vee

    4758

  • DramatistDreamer

    4562

  • Khan

    3055

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

We're back to "Freaky Fridays" with these Friday evening news dumps (the announcement of Bernie's heart attack, now this).

 

The media really do love their Friday cliffhangers, don't they? 

Please register in order to view this content

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Khan said:

 

The media really do love their Friday cliffhangers, don't they? 

Please register in order to view this content

 

Yeah, that and I do think that the Sanders campaign intentionally broke the news of Bernie's heart attack when they thought it would garner the least attention.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If this new policy had been in effect in 1972, when Papa Khan immigrated here on a visa from the British Virgin Islands, he would have been denied entry. And if he had been denied entry into the U.S., he and Mama Khan never would have met, and yours truly never would have been born. (Which could be good or bad, depending on how one feels about me.)

 

I'm just saying.

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/04/us/immigrant-visas-health-care.html?fbclid=IwAR14MtY-bth1jVv8O8rXcobbNHLYe233vJzuxgrjD-Jegpxgm91jOn-mqi8

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Khan I never knew you had some island heritage.  Dap! 

I mean, most immigrants who come, even the ones who already have jobs, rarely had their health insurance already in place. And frankly, most wealthy and comfortable people are not emigrating anywhere, let alone the U.S.-- even less so, with these onerous policies being put in place.  Trump wants to attract the wealthy immigrants who are not even interested in coming. 

 

Immigration has trickled almost to a halt.  If this continues, we're all looking at a future of economic stagnation similar to Japan.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll keep my thoughts about what this means for the primary to myself as it's distasteful IMO, but I do hope Bernie recovers.

 

Meanwhile, at the White House:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Hey @Khan I never knew you had some island heritage.  Dap!

 

Well...lol...that's where he lived, I think, after he was discharged from the Guyana Defence Force.  (He was living in Tortola with his then-wife and my half-sister, whom I've never met.) 

 

Papa Khan was born and raised, though, in Kitty Village, which remains one of Georgetown's (British Guyana) roughest neighborhoods.  As he told me many times over the years, everyone he grew up with either died or ended up in jail; and even though he never renounced his Guyanese citizenship -- in fact, he'd finally applied for his green card when he died unexpectedly seven years ago -- he never held any desire to return there either.

 

Frankly, I don't think Trump has anything to worry about when it comes to slowing immigration.  He and the rest of his administration have done a bang-up job in deterring anyone from coming here for generations to come.

 

2 hours ago, Vee said:

I'll keep my thoughts about what this means for the primary to myself as it's distasteful IMO, but I do hope Bernie recovers.

 

LOL!  Oh, @Vee!

Edited by Khan
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vee said:

Meanwhile, at the White House:

 

 

 

The nerve of Trump to use the image of Pinocchio! Someone who was told that being brave, truthful and unselfish would make him a real boy.

Those are three words I doubt Trump can even spell.....

Please register in order to view this content

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, Sean Hannity, who obviously wants to be Trump's BFF, has taken to calling him "Shifty Schiff" as well.  In fact, he repeats it so often -- and so awkwardly -- that if it were a drinking game, you'd be sloshed before his first commercial break.  (Which isn't a bad thing, since you probably NEED to be intoxicated to watch his show on Fox News.)

Edited by Khan
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Khan said:

 

Well...lol...that's where he lived, I think, after he was discharged from the Guyana Defence Force.  (He was living in Tortola with his then-wife and my half-sister, whom I've never met.) 

 

Papa Khan was born and raised, though, in Kitty Village, which remains one of Georgetown's (British Guyana) roughest neighborhoods.  As he told me many times over the years, everyone he grew up with either died or ended up in jail; and even though he never renounced his Guyanese citizenship -- in fact, he'd finally applied for his green card when he died unexpectedly seven years ago -- he never held any desire to return there either.

 

Frankly, I don't think Trump has anything to worry about when it comes to slowing immigration.  He and the rest of his administration have done a bang-up job in deterring anyone from coming here for generations to come.

 

Big up, Guyana!  I have a good friend who is Guyanese.  

 

 

Well, I guess coming up with insulting nicknames for adversaries is better than admitting that your diplomatic ventures are all failures and you got played by North Korea.

 

 

I mean, Kim basically got the clout that he was seeking at the U.S.' expense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How could that be a good idea? Won’t that make Perry turn on him and be more willing to cooperate? If the alternative is taking the fall, he has no choice but turn on Trump. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chris B said:

How could that be a good idea? Won’t that make Perry turn on him and be more willing to cooperate? If the alternative is taking the fall, he has no choice but turn on Trump. 

 

Perry has always been an idiot (there's a reason Molly Ivins called him "Governor Good Hair.") He'll do as told. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

How Perry would be involved makes no sense. The Energy Department has little to do with foreign affairs that don't involve heavily oil producing countries. Even if the call was his idea he didn't make Trump say what he said on the phone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member



  • Tell a friend

    Love Soap Opera Network Community? Tell a friend!
  • Posts

    • Have been scrolling through a site with random old Australian TV listings and discovered that ATWT aired in primetime in Sydney on Ch 7 in 1974! It's from Thursday Nov 28th at 8.30pm, This is the blurb... Carol returns home and asks Tom to give up Natalie Bannon's case. Grant and Joyce have a showdown and Grant decides not to divorce her until she has fully recovered. So it seems not to far behind the US storylines. Quite frankly I'm surprised that Oz execs would take to a daytime soap that had been running for nearly 20 years and expect viewers to be interested. Meanwhile the same channel was airing DOOL, Y&R and GH during the day. The Melbourne listings for the same evening do not have ATWT in the schedule, in fact the entire schedule was different. So it looks like ATWT was Sydney only exclusive. Wonder if it was nightly and how long it lasted?
    • Ahem, did we know that Tanner Novlan (Dr. Finn Without Personality) is married to actress Kayla Ewell who starred on B&B from 2004-2005 as Caitlin Ramirez (daughter of Sydney Penny and Lorenzo Lamas) who was Thomas' first teen love!?   We now go back to your regular scheduled programming in session...
    • I love me some Lauren but had to laugh at her lecturing Sally and Summer on women treating women well. Send them an ice cream sundae why don’t you Lauren?
  • Recent Status Updates

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy