Toups

The Politics Thread

Mr. Stamos had been a strong advocate inside the company for investigating and disclosing Russian activity on Facebook, often to the consternation of other top executives, including Sheryl Sandberg, the social network’s chief operating officer, according to the current and former employees, who asked not to be identified discussing internal matters.

After his day-to-day responsibilities were reassigned to others in December, Mr. Stamos said he would leave the company. He was persuaded to stay through August to oversee the transition of his duties because executives thought his departure would look bad, the current and former employees said. He has been overseeing the transfer of his security team to Facebook’s product and infrastructure divisions. His group, which once had 120 people, now has three, the current and former employees said.

Mr. Stamos would be the first high-ranking employee to leave Facebook since controversy erupted over disinformation on its site. His departure is a sign of heightened leadership tensions at the company.

Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s chief executive, Ms. Sandberg and other company leaders have struggled to address a growing set of problems, including Russian interference on the platform, the rise of false news, and the disclosure this past weekend that 50 million of its user profiles had been harvested by Cambridge Analytica, a voter-profiling company that worked on President Trump’s election campaign.

Facebook did not immediately have a comment.

That's troubling, but Stamos is also likely quitting because he tweeted last week (now deleted) defending FB's conduct re: Cambridge Analytica in the past and said their data steal was not a "breach" because it was technically legal. He was roasted for those tweets, today he's gone.

More background on all this:

Wow.  Just...wow.

So, just how much hot water is FB in right now?  Because, my head is spinning so much that I don't think I'm processing everything as well as I should.

This is really interesting data https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/19/upshot/race-class-white-and-black-men.html

Black boys raised in America, even in the wealthiest families and living in some of the most well-to-do neighborhoods, still earn less in adulthood than white boys with similar backgrounds, according to a sweeping new study that traced the lives of millions of children.

White boys who grow up rich are likely to remain that way. Black boys raised at the top, however, are more likely to become poor than to stay wealthy in their own adult households.

Poor white children struggle in parts of the Southeast and Appalachia. But they still fare better there than poor black children do in most of America. In effect, the worst places for whites produce outcomes that are about as good as the best places for blacks. These new maps also suggest that part of the reason the Southeast looks bad for

all children, in the middle map, is that the region is home to many black children who fare particularly poorly there.

That article, sadly is of no surprise to me.  I remember a study done about a decade ago and the findings stated that the lighter the shade of one's skin, it was equivalent to akin to having an extra year of education, such was the high regard for a lighter complexion.  The closer to white your skin, the higher the paycheck.

Also, we also know that blacks get worse mortgage rates than whites, regardless of credit, finances.  Studies have shown a white person with the same credit rating/history and income as a black person and the black person was still steered toward a more disadvantageous terms in their loan package.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

I found this interesting from a similar NPR piece about the research:

The results are also gendered. The income gap between black and white Americans, the study finds, is almost entirely driven by differences in earnings between black and white men. When the researchers controlled for parental income, they found black women earn slightly more than white women. Meanwhile, white men are far out-earning black men, even when they start out in families with similar income levels.

Also, from my family’s home state:

Bernie's little stunt trying to the co-opt the school walkout only served to show a whole new generation what a fraud he is.

I grew up in MD/DC and did a double take at the news this morning as well. Take care.