Jump to content


Toups

The Politics Thread

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Juliajms said:

I wish Twitter would suspend 45 for those tweets, but they won't.

 

I've also seen people complaining about how hard it is having to actually engage in democracy by calling their Congress people. My response is suck it up buttercups. Some people were doing this all along and the rest of us lazy asses should have been.  I refuse to try to make even a sip of lemonade from 45's election, but I will say I'll never take democracy for granted again.

Good for you. Calling is the easiest thing to do. The staffers in DC are used to the calling so they tend to be more polite than those locally. But for the most part they listen and record your concerns. The only way to change anything is to vote.  And congressional members can pass this off as out of state protestors, but races all over the country including Oklahoma have shown that not to be the case. I have a friend in Bartlesville Ok who is finally joining the democratic party there due to the energy and Anna Langthon the 25 year old recently elected head of the party there. She's energized a lot of people and under her leadership 4 state races have gone to democrats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DramatistDreamer said:

The British Prime Minister has condemned the actions of a U.S. President in a public rebuke. Let that sink in.

 

 

The sad thing is that I'm pretty sure the reason Donnie Bone Spur retweeted Britain First is because Prince Harry said he's not invited to the wedding.

 

As for the great sexist purge, I see a lot of people on the right playing the whole "Ha-ha! Look at all the people on the left who are predators. Sucks to be you!" But the truth is this is good. We saw what these "lefty" men did to HRC, I'm happy to have them gone before they get the chance to do the same thing to Kamala Harris or Chelsea Clinton (should she decide she wants a political life) or any other woman running for office.

 

I'm all for purging these fake ass allies. (Although I'm keeping Franken in the Senate because we need him.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, marceline said:

 

The sad thing is that I'm pretty sure the reason Donnie Bone Spur retweeted Britain First is because Prince Harry said he's not invited to the wedding.

 

As for the great sexist purge, I see a lot of people on the right playing the whole "Ha-ha! Look at all the people on the left who are predators. Sucks to be you!" But the truth is this is good. We saw what these "lefty" men did to HRC, I'm happy to have them gone before they get the chance to do the same thing to Kamala Harris or Chelsea Clinton (should she decide she wants a political life) or any other woman running for office.

 

I'm all for purging these fake ass allies. (Although I'm keeping Franken in the Senate because we need him.)

 

I agree. Although, in regards to the most recent purges, Halperin, Rose and Lauer hardly constitute lefties, they are far closer to the right than to the left, especially Halperin and Lauer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dragonflies said:

 

 

That'll show 'em. Too bad they weren't so discerning when they worked night and day to get him elected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marceline said:

 

The sad thing is that I'm pretty sure the reason Donnie Bone Spur retweeted Britain First is because Prince Harry said he's not invited to the wedding.

 

 

:lol: Well, Harry gets a point back for that one. He'll get another when he produces some cute babies to take more focus off of Trump's daily horrors. Not that I'm forgetting the Nazi uniform incident for a second, but anyone who pisses off Trump can't be all bad. Plus I always want to believe in redemption. I have to at this point in history.

1 hour ago, JaneAusten said:

Good for you. Calling is the easiest thing to do. The staffers in DC are used to the calling so they tend to be more polite than those locally. But for the most part they listen and record your concerns. The only way to change anything is to vote. 

I've always voted in state and national elections. I've also always been lucky enough to live in places where it's easy to do.  One thing I really hope we can do is make it easy for everyone to vote. If we could just overcome that hurdle Democrats would be doing better I think.

 

Watching Trump's speech, "I told you we'd say Merry Christmas again". :rolleyes: When did anyone stop you? I grew up saying it and have always said it back to people who say it to me even now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, marceline said:

I'm all for purging these fake ass allies. (Although I'm keeping Franken in the Senate because we need him.)

 

Agree.

2 hours ago, Juliajms said:

Watching Trump's speech, "I told you we'd say Merry Christmas again". :rolleyes: When did anyone stop you?

 

Exactly.  For that matter, why is it so awful to say "Happy Holidays" in case someone is not a Christian?  Or are Christian holidays the only ones that matter in this country?  (Don't answer, it's a rhetorical question, lol.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Khan said:

 

Agree.

 

Exactly.  For that matter, why is it so awful to say "Happy Holidays" in case someone is not a Christian?  Or are Christian holidays the only ones that matter in this country?  (Don't answer, it's a rhetorical question, lol.)

A few of years ago a conservative "friend" said to my husband, "I know you're Jewish, but I'm going to say Merry Christmas anyway".   At the time I thought it was slightly obnoxious, but we answered "Merry Christmas". Today I would say "I know you're a Christian, but Happy Hanukkah". Petty? You bet.

 

I agree with you though that being inclusive is the nice way to go, since there are so many holidays this time of year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I for myself try to be very considerate of all peoples religions...If I know who is Jewish I say Happy Hanukkah, if their Christian I say Merry Christmas and for other religions I just say Happy Holidays.. If I know peoples religion for example who may be Hindu or something other than that and I know their holiday,  I will make sure to address the appropriate holiday ...

 

If I'm don't know their religion I just say Happy Holidays.... That's just me though.  I've done this for years. I myself celebrate Christmas. Although growing up 1 of my best friends is Jewish and at times would get invited to spent and celebrate her holiday as she did the same at my home when we were kids/teens. 

Edited by YRestlessfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This echoes what was recently done with a major paper in Las Vegas with Sheldon Adelson and with the right-wing owner of DNAInfo in NYC (who purged the entire site and its years of archived articles overnight, leaving its liberal writing staff jobless and without the ability to link their work for future employment), and it is very very troubling, as is the DOJ interference with the CNN merger.

 

If we survive Trump we also have to find a way to survive this. The picture and the strategy are clear and incredibly dangerous.

 

 

Edited by Vee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vee said:

This echoes what was recently done with a major paper in Las Vegas with Sheldon Adelson and with the right-wing owner of DNAInfo in NYC (who purged the entire site and its years of archived articles overnight, leaving its liberal writing staff jobless and without the ability to link their work for future employment), and it is very very troubling, as is the DOJ interference with the CNN merger.

 

If we survive Trump we also have to find a way to survive this. The picture and the strategy are clear and incredibly dangerous.

 

 

It’s incredibly disturbing. The DNA closedown got a ton of. Criticism here in Chicago because the Rickets own the Chicago Cubs. That move was allegedly due to unionization and I am sure that was part of it but it is a disturbing trend. It’s why we need to support those media entities out there as best as we can and fight Net Neutrality which is.an even bigger danger to this. Some of the best reporting comes from The GuardiAn, Mother Jones, and Vox . 

 

Im concerned about the merger and I am sure when the discovery is done we’ll find out it was the push by the White House, not the fact that the merger should have never happened to begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...