Toups

The Politics Thread

7 minutes ago, OLTL #1 fan said:

except you'd need to have 3/4th of the states to get rid of the EC and that would never happen 

Of course not so the rest of us have to suffer with a GOP that no longer is about anything other than white male mediocrity. They have zero policies and believe in nothing anymore other than power. What Eisenhower predicted in his exit speech in 1961 for the GOP is exactly what has happened. Eisenhower was the last time the party had an ounce of integrity or hint of progressivism.(he changes this country through building the federal hwy system and led school desegregation). Even Nixon wanted Universal Healthcare and founded the EPA and went to China opening that up

Edited by JaneAusten

12 minutes ago, Ms. Quartermaine said:

It's been awhile since I've posted here (I've been lurking though...)

Just some comments about HRC, the electoral college, et. al...

When Hillary blames the loss on other factors, she is basing this on Nate Silver's analysis and possibly others (though his is the only name I can recall). Yes, she made mistakes and admitted as much, but those mistakes wouldn't have mattered if the election was held on October 27th. 

Plus, mistakes are common during a campaign, but I get the impression that Hillary was supposed to be perfect and not make any. Meanwhile, there is Trump with one gaffe after another and still ends up winning. I admire that Hillary isn't throwing her staff under the bus. As for Wisconsin, she sent surrogates there, and even if she did go, she went to PA, FL, and NC frequently, and we saw how that worked out. 

Calling Hillary and Trump both crappy candidates is false equivalence and part of the reason we're in this predicament. Also, voter turn out was 54.7%. 2012 was 54.9%. That's basically the same, and no one is calling Obama and Romney both crappy candidates. 

Hillary lost more votes in the electoral college because some Bernie Bros thought they could get Republicans on board by nominating someone such as Kasich or Powell and having the vote go to the House. Though someone in Washington ended up going with Faith Spotted Eagle, and then in Hawaii, someone went with Bernie to make a statement. There were also Trump electors that didn't show up because they couldn't vote for him, but they had replacements on hand. Didn't hear that about HRC. 

For the record, I wasn't supporting HRC in the primaries. I didn't involve myself in politics, and the media blamed her for Benghazi years ago, and so I thought she did something wrong. But then I did a lot of research, I watched interviews, behind the scenes footage...And that is when I decided to support her. I think the constant negativity also made me feel bad for her, and I ended up liking her more. I don't agree with everything she's said or done (I mean, even recently in the Code Conference, she said something that made me shake my head).

But at the end of the day, I believe she is a good person who cares about the country and its people, and with a Democratic Senate, she would have excelled. With a Republican Senate (and of course House), well, I'd like to believe the R's could work with her like they did when she was a senator, but I suspect there would be a lot of executive orders (though they'd be good ones) and even more investigations in an attempt to find her guilty of something. She knew this too, that they'd tear her down again and again, and yet still decided to run. She was willing to sacrifice her well-being for the country (and I'm sure, she would have liked the power too, but everyone who ever runs for President seeks power...). 

I think that's all for now. 

Good to see you back.

I agree with a lot of this. Also the issue with the GOP and probably why Chaffetz is leaving is they had nothing planned for 2017 because they expected her to win and would have spent the next 4 years on more investigations and hearings, accomplishing nothing, and probably voting to overturn Obamacare another 400 times.. That's all they are good at anymore. Doing nothing. I wish they'd just continue that for the next 2 to 4 years.

Edited by JaneAusten

1 hour ago, OLTL #1 fan said:

none were great, I was wanting to vote for Ben Carson or Carly Fiorina 

And with that, I skip your posts forever.

The mayor of Pittsburgh cordially invites Donnie to STFU.

30 minutes ago, Vee said:

And with that, I skip your posts forever.

Right? I'm kicking myself for wasting any time responding to that one. When my life is over I'm going to want those 30 minutes back. It does make me wonder however, what's Carly been up to since she fell off Ted Cruz's stage?

I enjoyed reading your post @Ms. Quartermaine :) Very succinctly put.

Pittsburgh's mayor gave Trump a great clapback.

Also, Elon Musk and Robert Iger both resigned from the Trump's advisory council.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

10 hours ago, marceline said:

At this point I hope he's got Secret Service protection.

I hope he's kept under lock-and-key in some underground bunker in some undisclosed location.

6 hours ago, marceline said:

We pretty much are. Trump is like an African dictator and Republicans in Congress say they don't believe in climate change because God will take care of it. They are about five minutes away from sacrificing a goat to read the entrails.

Damn, girl, lol.

I don't think you have to have U.S. citizenship to get pissed about anything that's happening these days in Washington.  Trump doesn't get (and never will get) that actions here can affect actions elsewhere.

Edited by Khan