The Politics Thread

• Members

Normally, a story about a clothing label rebranding itself wouldn't be put in a Politics thread but 1) this was before Ivanka Trump (said owner of the clothing label) decided to insert herself into the WH business and 2). there is nothing normal about this current WH.

Amidst Backlash, Ivanka Trump Clothing Is Secretly Relabelled as Adrienne Vittadini

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm not surprised Chris Cilizza wrote that. I imagine CNN hired him in large part for this purpose. He's very good at reminding us Democrats are losing. 

With that said, I can believe the poll - I don't believe Democrats are in touch and I don't think they have been in a number of years. They are anti-Trump, which is certainly important, and I think they're trying their hardest to stave off some of his worst, but it's a mirage for the realities underneath.

Why in the world was that man with the quavering voice put on television as their spokesperson. I've heard he's a good politician or strategist - he's not good on television.

• Members

I think they also want him be a low key defender of Trump. He says this about Ivanka Trump being booed:

You can hate Donald Trump's views on and treatment of women -- and lots of people do! But, to expect Ivanka Trump to publicly condemn her father or his record on women's issues is a bridge too far. It's impossible for us to know what Ivanka Trump does (or doesn't do) to influence her father's views behind the scenes. And, because of that -- and the fact that she is his daughter! -- booing her for defending her dad is poor form.

But I think he's missing that defending her father is not the same as claiming that his record is something it isn't. Nobody told her to lie about her father's "accomplishments." I don't expect her or anyone else to go out and bash their parents. She can surely make a speech or statement without referencing her father's non-existent advocacy of women's issues. This makes Chris Cilizza contemptible.

• Members

You know what gets tiresome is the constant chastising of democrats. While I can agree with a lot of what is said, are people sitting around waiting for the party to do something? Not from what I can see. We have successful local elections in Illinois booting republicans out of some key downstate localities, Thompson in KS gained support with grassroots efforts(no help from the party), Ossoff has had more of the same although his race has certainly been given more attention, but it's all the democrats are out of touch. Who are the people helping Thompson, Ossoff, and Quist in Montana?

I don't really know what people are expecting from those in congress. And the people writing these articles in NYC and DC and Chicago and LA are as out of touch as the parties are. (there was an excellent piece in Politico this AM about the MSM and press bubbles that exist that they themselves can't see).

Change will come from the bottom up. If people want to influence change that's the way to do it. Do I think the party is a mess - yes - do I think this unity tour was a success - no it was a disaster and never should have happened as is the so called Unity Committee. I think Perez is trying to listen but I think what was needed was new faces and that means NEW not Sanders or Clinton people. I keep thinking back to the DNC chair race and Buttigieg who is the mayor of South Bend and how he might have actually been a better choice now. The party needs to get it's messaging straight and then help promote races that adhere to that messaging. That's what they should be doing.  I don't expect a thing from them in Illinois (our own party here is corrupt and those local elections also booted out many establishment dems) but I am also looking at the democratic slate of candidates we have for governor and am encouraged.

I'm not taking my anger out on you and please don't feel that way I am frustrated that all the same crap gets regurgitated. Do people really think the image of the party was going to change in 4 months? This has been years in the making.

This article has been getting a LOT of attention and criticism. I won't say it's infallible but it does point out some of the issues with the media and press today.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/04/25/media-bubble-real-journalism-jobs-east-coast-215048

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Cilizza has also been trolling and low-key harassing Chelsea Clinton on social media over things that she has never claimed to say.

He has the idea that she will someday run for office and aims to pin her to it. Clinton has never made such claims. 

Is this what one would call a 'pre-emptive strike'?

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Not just Cilizza, a whole parade of guess who, white male "journalists" both on the left and right. Josh Barro in particular has some kind of unhealthy stalkerish tendencies with her on twitter. If I were her I'd get a restraining order against the guy, he's that scary with some of his comments. I think he ended up deleting some they were that bad.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

People need to remember that no matter how much Trump bitches about CNN, they support him. Individuals like Tapper and Lemon occasionally show a tiny bit of backbone but CNN help put Trump in the White House. Nothing that comes from them is ever really going to be in favor of Democrats. Not when Jeff Zucker keeps a framed Trump tweet on his wall.

What gets me about the constant criticism is that the people doing it don't seem to know what they want. Bernie says we need to embrace working class white men then turns around and claims that we need to become more progressive and move further to the left. You can't have it both ways. Just like the purity ponies claim they want to get all corporate money out of the party, you know, because the serial killing she-beast Hillary Clinton did fundraising for the party but then they want to know why the DCCC didn't send money to Kansas. Well, the party isn't going to be able to throw money at small races without that filthy corporate lucre. We can hate Citizens United all we want but it's the rule of the game now.

The purity progs love to say that the Clintons should go away but it's the people who hate them who can't let go. 

• Members

Ive been listening to a lot of podcasts. Honestly trying to avoid television news. My new favorite is PodSave America. Jon Favreau was a speech writer for President Obama.  Dan Pfeiffer was a senior advisor to President Obama. Jon Lovett was a speech writer for both President Obama and HRC.  Very entertaining. Highly recommend. Also one of the hosts, Jon Lovett has a Saturday podcast called Lovett or Leave It.  

They were discussing this poll and begrudgingly agreed with the findings.