The Politics Thread

• Members

If that Peter Thiel story is any indication I wish the people of New Zealand a lot of luck.

“Gay marriage, cultural tolerance, refugees, active strategies to address diversity — more than ever our leadership here is important,” Mr. Drury wrote in an email to his staff immediately after the election. He proposed setting a moral example by bringing “some refugee groups into our Wellington office.”

I could swear I remember reading about NZ being more culturally conservative than this. Maybe they've changed in recent years. 

I just hope that businesses are not exploiting refugees for PR.

Edited by DRW50

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Don Lemon's just playing his role. They manufacture all of this to get social media buzz which they think will in turn lead to higher ratings. Apparently there's nothing like twitter outrage these days.

I don't get why scoring points on twitter means so much to people when it changes nothing in reality. All this nonsense about "owning" people and "winning" and the rest of the hyperbole is not for me. I'm in the Jack Webb just the facts ma'am lane. None of those people screeching and carrying on with the back pats on CNN's panels are solving anything at all. They may as well kick it up a notch and have a CNN panelists awards show with such categories as who scored the most points on twitter, who got owned, and who starred in the most posted gif image.

Meanwhile the stress of the job requires more Mar-a-Lago downtime for the "winning-est" laziest President in U.S. history.

• Members

Have you seen the size and topography of New Zealand compared to the U.S.?  

Canada has more land than people. I have a cousin who recently moved to an area farther away from Toronto and it was virtually undeveloped when she moved in, she only had a few neighbors. 

I can't think of any such place outside of a major U.S. city that literally has undeveloped raw, land with barely any people living there!

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I know, I'm not saying Canada is doing anything wrong. In fact, I think the way they treat immigrants makes a lot more sense than the way we do. At the same time, I'm never going to think hundreds is a lot for a place like NZ. If you want to make it sound like you are a hero (the more the better!) then you better be taking at least a few thousand.  As long as the US is taking a million people every year I'm going to call hypocrisy on the people who criticize us on the immigration front (In terms of numbers, not treatment). Especially if they have nothing to say about places like Japan who effectively take no one.