The Politics Thread

• Members

All I know is in Chicago our immigrant communities have contributed to some of the areas in the city that have had rebirths economically and that includes undocumented folks. Ukranian Village is the number 1 neighborhood in the city in terms of economic growth in the last 5 years and it's due to immigrants and many undocumented folks. These folks contribute, take jobs again white working class America thinks is too low for them, and pay into a social security system they will never collect from. I'm still waiting to hear from the white working class as to what undocumented jobs they will be taking once all these job stealers are gone. Are they going to go work in all those meat packing plants in Iowa where Tyson has hired them, or as bus people and waiters and waitresses in all those restaurants in Ukranian Village, or in the agricultural fields in California?

Edited by JaneAusten

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Some cities in my county have their own police departments and some contract with the county. My city contracts and the Sheriff firmly said no when I asked him if county resources would be used to round up immigrants. The police here are on good terms with the public and would like to keep it that way.

• Members

I posted about these U.S. led airstrikes over the weekend with a link to this article.

U.S. Investigating Mosul Strikes Said to Have Killed Up to 200 Civilians

Just to add:

The number has been revised upword, taking account of February's death toll.

As critical as I was of the Obama administrations use of drone strikes, at the very least, they admitted when there were deaths from a drone strikes.

The current administration cannot even bear to use direct language. Probably??

U.S. ‘Probably Had a Role’ in Mosul Deaths, Commander Says

* I tried to edit in the original post, thinking it would 'bump' it up in the queue to the latest post but nope, lol. So I had to make a new post with a link to the old one. Hee!*

• Members

I am a tad bit dismayed to see how Devin Nunes can lie about seeing evidence and be defiant about not showing it to his fellow committee members, cancel everything, and bring the whole thing to a screeching halt without there being any consequences for his actions at all. I really hope whatever he's hiding is exposed sooner rather than later and that this whole thing blows up in his and his cohorts faces, including Paul Ryan.

Hopefully the Senate Intelligence Committee will do a better job and their chairman won't turn out be an obstructionist as well.

Unfortunately next up includes this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/karen-pence-is-the-vice-presidents-prayer-warrior-gut-check-and-shield/2017/03/28/3d7a26ce-0a01-11e7-8884-96e6a6713f4b_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_no-name:homepage/story&utm_term=.c60564c36203

I do kind of think that they will be much easier to neutralize than Trump since unlike him they actually have an agenda that is spelled out clearly enough to attack. Trump is all over the place with his flip flopping and contradictions that is both chaotic and extremely tiresome.

• Members

I still think there are GOP members who want Trump gone and aren't interested in shielding him and especially not at their expense. The leaks will continue from everywhere. And I'm sure the TrumPutins are going to try to figure out how they can break the SIC. Burr is clearly not going to be as amateurish as Nunes, who is now trying to blame the Democrats because he thinks everyone has the intelligence of the Trumpkin society. Maybe he's taking his cues from Trumpidiot who said the Dems would be crawling on their knees to him and has temporarily switched to we're going to work together and this is going to be easy. Democrats would be smart to keep their distance from anything resembling cooperation with him on health care and other major issues. Everyone around him is a candidate for collateral damage.

Maybe Mark Warner will be able to keep the SIC on track. Right now, I feel as if they all know what the end result should be and they're simply figuring how to get there in a way that is going to stick.

• Members

How Trump can easily destroy the ACA (I imagine this will happen any day now - and I also imagine a lot of people will still blame Obama and Democrats for it).

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/trump-obamacare-explode-236623

Mentions of "climate change" among other bad words are now banned.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/energy-department-climate-change-phrases-banned-236655