The Politics Thread

• Members

I think you have to tune him out. I have for the most part and focus on what is actually being done in Congress and by the White House. That's what I've been doing and it helps being part of a couple of local activist groups who are both engaged in the local elections and focusing on issues vs the person.

And it works. I canvassed for a local community who was having town council elections 2 weeks ago and the party I canvassed for which was not the establishment democratic party picked up 60% of the seats on the town council and the mayor skimmed by re-election by less than 300 votes. The turnout was way up compared to most local elections in the past also. So it's things like that which are huge moral boosters and actually make a difference in people's daily lives. It made a lot of us feel that our canvassing and GOTV efforts really made a difference.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Reviewing photographs of the two of them sitting apart yesterday, it is clear that Merkel is now the leader of the free world, Trump even knows that he is a lesser compared to her and he looks like a petulant child who knows he cannot get his way and doesn't know how to deal with a powerful woman, his weakness.

He actually looks weak in contrast to Merkel.

So ironic that people who didn't want a woman as Commander-in-Chief of the US now have effectively sealed the fate of Trump as not only NOT being a world leader but now must defer to Angela Merkel, a woman who is now, clearly the most powerful leader in the free world.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

It mostly just made me sad, mostly because it showed, as you said, that they just didn't get it. They were blindsided because they actually thought he gave a damn about them. 

I do have a bit of respect for the man who said if he lost his schooling and job because of Trump he'd just suck it up. Or I would if he hadn't voted for that mess. 

I also appreciated that they went outside the normal focus and also interviewed people who hadn't voted or who may not have voted for Trump.

Someone really needs to get these people out on the streets protesting. If there's one thing Republicans will be terrified of it's middle-aged white people protesting. 

• Members

"However unsavory she and her countrymen may find Trump, Germany has no viable alternative to the U.S. partnership, either in economic or security terms."

If that's true poor Germany and poor Merkel. I'm sickened by how many strong women have been demeaned by having to deal with Trump. As for the handshake that didn't happen, I wonder if he didn't hear her? They did hand shakes throughout the day, so what would be he point of snubbing her in the Oval Office? I'm not one to give Trump the benefit of the doubt, but maybe this one time he wasn't an ass on purpose?

Please register in order to view this content

OK, that's probably a longshot.

• Members

@JuliajmsSome body language experts were interviewed on their thoughts and they pretty much said that Trump knows he is not the most powerful figure in that room, she is. From the first handshake, it was obvious that Merkel does not trust Trump, the way she closed her arms around her body, crossed her legs tightly-very much in protective and wary mode.

By the end, Trump was slumped in a defeated position, surly and looking like petulant child who had been put in his place.

The 'handshake snub' was a last-ditch attempt to assert some type of dominance over a powerful woman that he obviously doesn't know how to deal with but everyone pretty much thinks that this childish move makes him look even weaker compared to Merkel.

The German media, politicos and general public are fuming over what they see as Trump's petulance and rudeness.

Vladimir's instruction to Trump clearly got lost in translation as no one was supposed to catch on to what was happening and Merkel was clearly not intimidated.

Recently, on Twitter, I read about a woman, a Trump voter, complaining about the possibility of her Meels-On-Wheels being eliminated. In the subtweets, a Latino man, responded that he didn't feel sorry for her at all, since she obviously thought it was fine to vote for someone who separates families. 

My first instinct is to harden against these people who are now complaining, similar to the response of this man. There is a lot of attention on these people who are now waking up to the damage that their votes have caused but is there equal focus on the people whose everyday lives are being upended by the micro-aggressions of Trump voters?

A California waiter refused to serve 4 Latina women until he saw ‘proof of residency’

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

The boldness of the ignorant is just disappointing. sad, pathetic, bigoted....maybe he was being a smart ass, but it cost him his job and made the business and company look horrible in comparison. some people just tend to be evil and ignorant, and are so very proud of it.