The Politics Thread

• Members

I'll tell you guys what my cousin who lives in Kentucky told me, where the ACA is a success by the way. All people there care about are bullets and the bible and while having health insurance is great, many see it as a luxury and believe those coal jobs are coming back with great benefits.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Since the GOP can't get Mexico to pay for it, they're going to slice and dice FEMA. The folks in Tornado alley better start praying because Trump doesn't care.

This guy perfectly sums up why I'm judging Trump voters harshly.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I'll say that. I don't know how she feels. She's no Trump supporter nor is her husband, but they moved there about 2 years ago due to her husband taking over his dad's lumber business. She has said it's a far cry from living in the DC area where they were before. But she actually asked me why if regulations were lightened why the coal jobs or some of them could not come back. All I could point to was how many former users of coal have switched over to things like wind energy due to coast and cleanliness. She couldn't answer if coal mining jobs have been made safer or if coal usage has been made cleaner. So perhaps there is a possibility but to what end.

• Members

Another victory for bad voter ID laws. May have been posted already.

https://www.thenation.com/article/texass-redistricting-maps-and-voter-id-law-intentionally-discriminated-against-minority-voters/

Can I saw Ari Berman is a rock star of a reporter. He's the only one during the election season and before and after that has reported on any of this. Yet endless stories of the white rustbelt voter.

• Members

Now the DOJ is asking for additional time to collect evidence on wiretapping or as Jim Acosta (CNN) tweeted " to provide info to House Intel Committee to back up POTUS wiretapping claims." Because Jeff Sessions or whoever is supposed to be handling this can back up those claims. I really hope Jim Acosta's wording is wrong.

@Roman my microwave has been spying on me a lot lately and even though I am concerned, I still used it to heat up some pasta.  Maybe I'll check for the hidden cameras tomorrow.

I'm not going to broad stroke the people of Kentucky since I am sure some of them appreciate having health care. I do wonder how many people toting a Bible ever opened it up and tried reading it, as I suspect most people rely on their good reverends to translate it for them. I'm going to take a wild guess and say they would be shocked to find out that not only was Jesus Jewish but that he wasn't European either (and not just because Europe didn't exist yet).

• Members

As someone who was raised in similar ignorance, I'd say they pretty much all know Jesus is a Jew and they probably know more about the biblical middle east then they do about Europe. I certainly did until college. Most likely they do read the bible themselves quite a bit. They just tend to interpret it literally, which leads to a lot of crazy ideas.  Of course, there are different strains of Evangelicals, but they actually tend to be pretty friendly towards Jews. Not long ago I watched a Vice episode about Evangelicals donating large sums of money to Israeli settlements (in hopes of bringing on Armageddon, I kid you not). I was not surprised.

Until recently, I'd say Jews had a lot more to fear from Catholics then fundamentalists. The phrase "Jews killed Jesus" was unheard of in my po'dunk church, but you didn't want to be on welfare no matter how poor you were or you would be unmercifully shamed. We were on Social Security after my father died (hello Paul Ryan) and my mother never heard the end of it. We didn't have health insurance and we were still pretty damn poor. I certainly grew up thinking health insurance was an exotic luxury and no one I knew had it.

Edited by Juliajms