The Politics Thread

• Members

It's actually working I read about this weeks ago.(not Dean) but going after advertisers is the best way to tackle this and it's worked through Sleeping Giants. I love the story about Kellogg and how the conservative boycott attempt has been turned around on them.

I'm still angry as hell but I am also trying to be effective and help. I'm volunteering as a marshall for the protest in Chicago on the 21st but more importantly I'm doing volunteer work for the NAACP as well as volunteering for the group Action for a Better tomorrow(Pantsuit Nation chapter here in Illinois). We have 22,000 members right now . I'm on the committee helping to save the ACA and for anyone who wants info on what we're doing let me know.  There are chapters is almost every state so I encourage especially those in red or purple states to get out there and involved.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yes! For a while I was thinking of new terrible things every day. Either terrible things that will happen or all the good things that won't. I think 10 years ago I would have thought "we just have to get through this hard time", but now I'm 42 and I feel like I don't have endless time to see the good things I hope for society happen.

• Members

Streep speech is exactly what Meghann Mccain said was right its ruining the democratic party with this elitism crap.  Reason why Bernie was magic to the party he cared about the working class the real people not these idiot celebs. Streep alienated her conservative audience.

• Members

So human decency is elitist? That was the context of what she was talking about. Good to know. I never realized I supported elitism until you defined it for me. How horrible of we democratic elitists to expect the President of the United States to show some decency and compassion.

• Members

Yes my aging autistic brother will appreciate how the new POTUS would make fun of him and it now being a-ok.

Seriously. I am so fricking sick of the Bernie supporters and these people who think that the white working class men are all that matters. Let the fricking democrats focus on them and just ignore women, latinos. blacks, muslims, and other minorities and see how many elections they win. Frankly as a female, former small business owner turned teacher, I can't find anything appealing about the GOP or what these white whiney Bernie supporters want the democratic party to be. Let them try and win elections without the elite women, blacks, latinos, and all the other minorities that make up the party.

Bernie supporters think about this. If President Obama would have run against Trump he would have destroyed him hands down. Then where would the poor white working class male narrative be? I watched Bernie's town hall on CNN tonight and he was spewing that same stump speech. He erroneously stated who was behind all our trade deals, and could not answer a question coherently from a man asking about regulations on small businesses other than bringing in the billionaires and their 1%. Tell me Hillary or Obama could not have. He wouldn't even commit to voting against Jeff Sessions a lifelong racist who couldn't even get approved for a judgeship under Reagan due to his bigotry.

That speech by Streep reminded me that the clearest voices against Trump have been women. That speech Hillary Clinton made that no one heard against the dangerous elements of Trump's base(KKK members) was outstanding. ANd don't forget Michelle Obama's speech about his discussions about women. But then we are all elitists. F-off(pardon my language) who think decency, kindness, compassion, and fairness in a leader don't matter.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

I do think that the speech had elitist elements. It was a glitzy awards show and she made comments to the effect of if we didn't have the arts people would have to watch football or MMA. I don't watch football or MMA either, but she was obviously speaking to an echo chamber, as are most of the celebrities who talk about Trump. I can't really compare it to Michelle Obama because I felt like she was trying to speak to all people, even if many of them were too ignorant or in denial to listen. But that's our society today - most of us only talk to echo chambers. For Meryl Streep to pretend she's Carrie of the Coal Miners, or whatever, would have been phony as hell. That's why we need fresh voices who can speak to people. The Democratic Party needs vitality more than they need anything. And no I don't mean Bernie. 

• Members

Well I personally don't watch any awards shows, A bunch of celebrities patting themselves on the back meh, I watched her speech and it was good, And do I think her some champion of average Americans no, But do you have to live in rural Iowa or in coal miner country to speak about decency, If common decency is elite sign me up,

• Members

It's that slam-bang,Smart politics we've all been waiting for.  Hallelujah.

She came and made a point to support our free press and show her utter disgust that the man that's been chosen to lead our nation made fun of a disabled reporter. After what happened to that disabled boy in Chicago last week, he should have come out and apologized for his behavior toward the reporter. The president is supposed to lead this country by example. All he does is act like a catty teenage girl (or boy) on Twitter, trying to go tit for tat with every individual that says something he doesn't like.  If that's the case, his stubby assed fingers won't stop until 2020.

The stuff about actors was elitist., but what do you expect, Streep has been on a pedestal for the last 40 + years. That doesn't discount the fact that she is 100 percent right about the reporter Trump abused verbally, or  our free press. A lot of bluster is expected at these award shows. Viola Davis did the same thing.

Only my opinion.

@GregNYC   Your response about changing Democrats that left had absolutely nothing to do with what I posted. Just saying...

Speaking of leading by example, a teacher posted this in her classroom

Please register in order to view this content

She deserves recognition for putting her students at ease in this tumultuous time.

=

Edited by slick jones

• Members

You don't have to live in rural Iowa or be a coal miner to talk about decency, but I think the way she chose to make her comments and the tone of the awards in general meant they were tailored for a narrow audience. I share many of their views and I'm likely as horrified by Trump as they are, but I felt like I was watching people in a protected bubble. The jokes from some about all the "foreigners" in the room who would be endangered were especially odd to me, because most (certainly not all) are rich and white and have nothing in common with those who will be under threat from the incoming Congress and POTUS and state legislatures. So yes, I see that as elitist. It doesn't mean I think only Minnie Pearl of 2017 can speak in a common voice, just that when I see these types of speeches, I can't really connect to them.