The Politics Thread

• Members

It's not just the media though.  There are other people who haven't even read the FAQs of the Green New Deal that have been making salty comments. 

On the other side, there are those who are ready to attack Nancy Pelosi for using the words "green dream" and "whatever" when mentioning that she hadn't yet had a chance to read the blueprint proposal.

It's just odd because AOC did agree with Pelosi that it is indeed a "green dream" and took no offense at Pelosi's remarks.  Just as Pelosi took no offense at AOC showing up outside her office to try to push the green agenda. 

It seems that both women aim to do their jobs, regardless of how they're being cast by various narraties, which have more than a whiff of sexism, imo.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

You know how sloppy reporting is on The New Green Deal when I have already read several reporters saying "The senate will never pass this nor will the president even sign this"

It's not a bill it's a simple resolution. These folks need to read up on that and what that actually means. Its not intended to be legislation that will be voted on as a normal piece of legislation would. It's aspirational. And folks pointing to AOC as the author and all encompassing goddess on this also neglect the fact that Jeff Merkley signed onto this and he certainly understands the legislative process, coalition building,  uhm how a bill becomes a law.

I'm not sold on everything in it or it's targets but it's a starting point. I like the fact that they are actually putting things on paper and hopefully starting the process to get people to believe the good things government can do. And I like its bold. We have people like Sherrod Brown who IMO is talking about healthcare solutions in a pragmatic way and that's needed too.

And listen to this interview with AOC yesterday. I started out not liking her but she's learning. And she's not getting baited into hating on Pelosi or the situation happening in Virginia.  Its interesting that she and Sherrod Brown are the 2 people I have seen now make Chuck Todd look like a clown. With 2 different approaches that are effective.

• Members

And I think that neither AOC nor Markey expects everything to have a chance of being put into motion but I think they are hoping for those pieces that are deemed 'do-able'.  I liken it to some of my favorite athletes who say they set outrageous goals and when they meet some of them, it turns out to be a huge accomplishment because the goals were so impossibly high.

I tried not to judge AOC overall because she is so inexperienced.  I know she said some things that showed some ignorance (and in those moments I really couldn't defend) but because I remember how people made snap judgements about HRC during her Senate campaign (I voted for her for the Senate), it was a reminder to me to wait and see how AOC actually goes about the business of governing before deciding whether or not she was hopeless or hopeful.  She's learning.  

• Members

I also think AOC has made better choices lately. I think she's got too much of a social media yen, but she's not Ilhan Omar. She's learning. We'll see how it plays out, especially going into 2020 with Bernie vs. everyone else. Do I mind a Green New Deal if it can be articulated via nuts and bolts, of course not.

Meanwhile:

• Members

The minute she picked up what appeared to be a pamphlet, I knew Sheila Jackson-Lee was going in on Whittaker.

ETA: Oh, it's a copy of the Constitution!  Oh, Lawd!  Don't tell me she was ready to whup his bald ass with a copy of the Constitution!?

Edited by Khan