Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Pelosi is playing Trump's game, making shady digs at the fact that everything Trump has came from his dad.

Right on, girl.  

Please register in order to view this content

IOW, Cohen has not a thing to lose.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I see that the usual look-at-me types, like Ana Marie Cox, are more concerned with Beto O'Rourke getting his teeth cleaned than on anything with our country falling apart. 

I laughed when some journo said, in all seriousness, it was a "Dukasis tank moment." There will always, always be a "moment" that hacks like this use to attack Democrats with. This is the game they play. I say that as someone who doesn't really care about O'Rourke as I think he mostly just had his brief moment in the sun. They all secretly want Trump to win again anyway, because they like the drama and because not having Republicans in power makes them feel weak and scared. 

• Members

That's been going around a few years now. 

The FEMA stuff is disgusting, but it also goes beyond Trump - for years Republicans have been looking for an excuse to cut off emergency funding. Now he's given them one. And the media will go right along with them. There's nothing anyone can do to stop this. 

• Members

The way to stop it is clear: Trump declares an emergency to get his wall, the Democrats immediately sue (as they've said they'll do) and it gets tied up in court while the government reopens and no wall ever is actually made.

That is Trump's only out: He loses, but tells his base "it's coming" and that he didn't lose. It's what has been circling the table for several days and any second now he will likely do it. Either way, he's lost.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Yes. Unfortunately it's never just Trump - many people will back him up, in his party, in the country, and in the media. I saw more focus on Nancy and Chuck looking dour and sharing a podium than on anything else with the shutdown the last few days. Shiny objects always carry the day. 

• Members

That's exactly what he'll do and his base will agree, of course. But no, in this case most of the media won't - they know what it means, they know it is Trump's only figleaf to pretend he has a 'win' and they have been calling it that on social media for days. That's how most of us became aware of this option in the first place.

His base is, beyond a certain hardcore, immovable (though some are flaking off). The rest of the country will call this possible outcome what it would be - no wall, the shutdown ended and Trump posturing again. That is the overwhelming polling result and the final analysis. And there have been a slew of stories in the last week - and month, really - about Trump being helpless and defeated in this fight.

Even the Wall Street Journal, of all places, calls it what it is:

Edited by Vee