Toups

The Politics Thread

Trump has truly brought us back to the 1980's.

It always comes down to two things: sex, and money; and either together or separately, both have toppled great (and not-so-great) leaders since the beginning.

55 minutes ago, marceline said:

I think the three years will turn out to be a life sentence. Cohen didn't just flip on Trump, he flipped on the Russian mob. A lot of these wannabe goodfellas are going to pay for their bad judgment with their lives. 

Yep.

Edited by Khan

He's right about this.  There was no reason to rip that child from her arms.  They could have resolved this issue so many different ways before that power play happened.

Jazmine Headley had been waiting for vouchers for childcare for four hours, without a chair, so she sat on the floor.  Could no one have found a folding chair??

It is a lack of common sense and lack of humanity in regards to how she and her child were mistreated.  

Were it not for the bystander who took video of the whole thing, I doubt any of us would know where this woman would've ended up.  Or her child, for that matter.

Much like Margaret Thatcher, who I believe was the last PM to face a No Confidence Vote by her own party, Theresa May wins this one.  I wonder what the repercussions will be for the Tories.  Perhaps an even weaker party?

Edited by DramatistDreamer

39 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Much like Margaret Thatcher, who I believe was the last PM to face a No Confidence Vote by her own party, Theresa May wins this one.  I wonder what the repercussions will be for the Tories.  Perhaps an even weaker party?

The threshold was much tougher for Thatcher than for May, as they changed the rules after Thatcher's time as PM. 

Apparently May implied that she would not run for another term as PM, so that may have made some in her party who are sick of her decide to support her. Given how craven she is I wonder if she will keep her word. 

The media is in the tank for the Tories and have repeatedly tried to spin her never-ending can-kicking and dithering as signs of being a strong woman. 

1 hour ago, DRW50 said:

The threshold was much tougher for Thatcher than for May, as they changed the rules after Thatcher's time as PM. 

Apparently May implied that she would not run for another term as PM, so that may have made some in her party who are sick of her decide to support her. Given how craven she is I wonder if she will keep her word. 

The media is in the tank for the Tories and have repeatedly tried to spin her never-ending can-kicking and dithering as signs of being a strong woman. 

May is awful and inept but with a vulture party like the Tories, she's far from the worst.  Besides, the fact that no one seems to have a clue as to how to proceed with Brexit, it likely, it was the threat of ending up with Boris Johnson or Michael Gove that helped to steer votes to keep May in her position.  There are several other Tories who no one wants near the office of PM, who'd beat her by a country mile in a contest for the politician who garners the most contempt of the British people.

Not exactly a left wing pundit:

21 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

May is awful and inept but with a vulture party like the Tories, she's far from the worst.  Besides, the fact that no one seems to have a clue as to how to proceed with Brexit, it likely, it was the threat of ending up with Boris Johnson or Michael Gove that helped to steer votes to keep May in her position.  There are several other Tories who no one wants near the office of PM, who'd beat her by a country mile in a contest for the politician who garners the most contempt of the British people.

I think Johnson is pretty much done. Gove is more of a question - he's glomming onto May now which might help him.

There are people objectively worse than May, but I think she has enabled them to get them this far, so it's a very warped chicken and egg syndrome.