Jump to content
Toups

The Politics Thread

Recommended Posts

A very respectful criticism of GHWB's legacy. I won't be surprised if there is backlash, although it's pretty sedate compared to some I've seen (especially those who are still, rightfully, deeply angry about the Reagan and Bush treatment of AIDS).

 

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/12/01/george-hw-bush-legacy-222730

Edited by DRW50

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

George H.W. Bush was president when I first became interested in politics and was somebody who I really admired, so his death brings quite a bit of sadness for me. I know that this isn’t going to be popular, but I thought that the American people made a horrendous mistake in 1992 when they rejected Bush’s bid for a second term and chose Bill Clinton. That said, I recognize that Bush was far from perfect. Nor was he even the individual whom I wish were elected president in 1998; that distinction actually goes to Bob Dole.

 

What’s interesting is that had Michael Dukakis defeated GHWB in 1988, history would have been different in so many ways. Obviously, Dukakis probably would have handled the tumultuous international events which occurred in 1989, 1990, and 1991 in a very different manner than Bush handled them. And domestically, Bush’s 1988 win paved the way for a series of events that allowed all his successors to reach the White House: First, GHWB’s sky-high approval ratings after the First Gulf War led many to believe that he was unbeatable in 1992 and caused all the big name Democrats to take a pass that year; had he had more serious competition, Bill Clinton—who was little-known outside of Arkansas at the start of the 1990's—almost certainly would not have received the Democratic Nomination. (Had Dukakis won in 1988, there obviously would not have been a contested Democratic primary until 1996. But regardless, Clinton would still have had the same level of difficultly winning the nomination due the fact that he was a little-known governor.) Secondly, had GHWB lost in 1988, chances are that his sons would have had a considerably tougher time launching political careers on their own, which—in turn—would have meant that George W. Bush would likely have never become president. Then, were it not for Bush 43’s disastrous second term, the American electorate likely would not have been willing to take a chance on somebody as inexperienced as Barack Obama. And finally, the sad fact of the matter is that Donald Trump’s presidency probably would not have occurred had he not become the leader of the Birther Movement (as that pretty much launched his political career).

 

Before I conclude this post, I wanted to share these fascinating Election Night videos from 1988 and 1992 that are available on YouTube (in case anybody hasn’t yet seen them):

 

 

 

Edited by Max

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @Max. I went on a binge watching some of these a while back. There are others here, some that I had never seen before.

 

My father, at the time, felt Clinton was a bad choice, and would have gone for Bush (he didn't vote that year). I think overall that Clinton was a better President, but even then I thought he was slippery, and that hasn't changed. 

 

I notice that 88 video has talk about how the Republicans were sure they'd win a Senate seat in New Jersey. Deja vu all over again.

 

What a shocker that the media is talking about itself at the start of that first video. Always their favorite topic. They hate America but they love themselves. 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by DRW50

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Max said:

George H.W. Bush was president when I first became interested in politics and was somebody who I really admired, so his death brings quite a bit of sadness for me. I know that this isn’t going to be popular, but I thought that the American people made a horrendous mistake in 1992 when they rejected Bush’s bid for a second term and chose Bill Clinton. That said, I recognize that Bush was far from perfect. Nor was he even the individual whom I wish were elected president in 1998; that distinction actually goes to Bob Dole.

 

What’s interesting is that had Michael Dukakis defeated GHWB in 1988, history would have been different in so many ways. Obviously, Dukakis probably would have handled the tumultuous international events which occurred in 1989, 1990, and 1991 in a very different manner than Bush handled them. And domestically, Bush’s 1988 win paved the way for a series of events that allowed all his successors to reach the White House: First, GHWB’s sky-high approval ratings after the First Gulf War led many to believe that he was unbeatable in 1992 and caused all the big name Democrats to take a pass that year; had he had more serious competition, Bill Clinton—who was little-known outside of Arkansas at the start of the 1990's—almost certainly would not have received the Democratic Nomination. (Had Dukakis won in 1988, there obviously would not have been a contested Democratic primary until 1996. But regardless, Clinton would still have had the same level of difficultly winning the nomination due the fact that he was a little-known governor.) Secondly, had GHWB lost in 1988, chances are that his sons would have had a considerably tougher time launching political careers on their own, which—in turn—would have meant that George W. Bush would likely have never become president. Then, were it not for Bush 43’s disastrous second term, the American electorate likely would not have been willing to take a chance on somebody as inexperienced as Barack Obama. And finally, the sad fact of the matter is that Donald Trump’s presidency probably would not have occurred had he not become the leader of the Birther Movement (as that pretty much launched his political career).

 

Before I conclude this post, I wanted to share these fascinating Election Night videos from 1988 and 1992 that are available on YouTube (in case anybody hasn’t yet seen them):

 

 

 

I'm of the opinion that Ross Perot is what cost him his re-election campaign. I still remember how ridiculous Perot's doddering running mate, Admiral Stockdale came across. Maybe when he was younger he would have worked ok... but Lord, that man didn't even seem to know who was in the room with him! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Admittedly, I hadn't been paying all that much attention to the G20 this year so I must admit that I missed this when it happened.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Admittedly, I hadn't been paying all that much attention to the G20 this year so I must admit that I missed this when it happened.

 

Dementia will do that! More and more,  I do think this POS has it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Wendy said:

Dementia will do that! More and more,  I do think this POS has it.

 

That's why I like when he travels. The stress of being away from home exacerbates his sundowning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A long thread on the voter fraud in NC-09. You will be shocked to learn the media has turned a blind eye. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone actually admonished people to refer to what is happening in North Carolina as election fraud, not voter fraud. 

This person claims that calling it voter fraud gives credence (somehow) that the GOP's complaints about rampant voter fraud are legitimate when they aren't, and that what is being attempted in North Carolina, Wisconsin and Michigan is actually an attempt at election engineering by way of fraud.

 

This kind of makes sense but what's being attempted amounts to fraud, no doubt about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

 

Praise be!

 

Avenatti essentially came for the King and missed, I doubt he can even be a high profile attorney after this. 

On 12/1/2018 at 9:23 PM, DRW50 said:

A very respectful criticism of GHWB's legacy. I won't be surprised if there is backlash, although it's pretty sedate compared to some I've seen (especially those who are still, rightfully, deeply angry about the Reagan and Bush treatment of AIDS).

 

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/12/01/george-hw-bush-legacy-222730

This was a really good article.  I don't mind that most people have only good things to say about GHWB during the time of his funeral, but I think this writer has many good points.  I have mixed feelings about the old Republican guard.  They were really against most of the things I believe in, but I think many of them tried to do what they thought was best for the country. 

 

If I ever knew that George and Barbara had lost a small daughter I forgot.  I was reading some of the letters he wrote about her today.  😢 While I don't think we should canonize GHWB, I can't help but contrast him to what we have now.  I miss at least having a base line respect for the opposition.

 

Bob Dole looks so frail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×